1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Jewel :(

Discussion in 'Hermit Crab Obituaries - In Memory Of "Skip".' started by HermitPaws, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Sadly died after he finished a topside molt

Was rescued from a family who had given him to there 5 year old and didn't know how to care for him!

2. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

What a shame.
    That's sad. :(
    Kids are kids but,I think 5,is way to young to take over the resposnability.
    Don't mean to offend anyone with little kids...I'm only 14 so what do I know?

3. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Sorry about your loss of Jewel .....You definitely didn't offend me! I totally agree that small children need an adult's help to care for ANY pet. My four year old assists me with feeding the cats and the hermit crabs. My eleven year old has the 29 gallon in his room, but I still have to help him remember when certain things need to be done...like scooping the poop, changing and mixing ne water and feeding them a varied diet, checking the gages and misting as needed. Neither of my kids are ready to take over total care of any poor little animal!

4. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Yeah, 5 is way too young to expect them to take responsibility for a pet! My 6 (almost 7) year old daughter could absolutely NOT soley care for the crabs or any other pet for that matter!
    RIP Jewel...

5. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Oh no I'm so sorry. =[
    One of my friends has a five year old daughter that INSISTED on having a crab of her own after she saw mine...
    It didn't last very long. =[

6. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

Any parent that tells a child that they can have a pet but they are in charge of all of the care without supervision, is not thinking of the pet AT ALL. Just say NO if you are not willing to oversee the entire process. Even if the child has no idea that they are being supervised, it needs to be done!!!! Pets can be a great learning tool. as long as they are not being injured in the process. Can you tell I love animals!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.