1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Hephaestus

Discussion in 'Hermit Crab Obituaries - In Memory Of "Skip".' started by Klabelle, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

Hephaestus
    Well, here is my tribute to Hephaestus.
    I still can't get myself to take him out of the tank. :sad5:
    He was fine last monday, then tuesday night,
    I suspected him dead but wasn't sure so I waited a few days
    to see if he would get that fishy smell. I wanted to make sure he wasnt molting.
    Last night I went into my room and someone had knocked his shell into the water while I was in class.

I'm gonna miss picking him up and all the salt water collected in his shells from his bath come pouring out onto my hand.

I suppose it is time to let him go. I don't understand how he can go from healthy and active to dead in less than 12hrs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:sad5: Aw gee Katz...I am so sorry. It's hard losing one, and especially one that you had a special fondness for.

A lot of the time it's hard to tell when a crab is sick/getting sick or if there is a weakness in the genes causing them to have a shortened life span. I know you're a wonderful "crabby mommy" and his life with you was the best. :hug2:

3. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

Thanks Jelly,

I'm equally fond of all my pets no matter the species so I get super upset when any of them die.
    I've been paying a little extra attention to the 6 I have left though to make sure none of them are acting funny.
    I think it may have been something i put in their tank but I can't imagine what it is since I changed their tank about a month ago and the others are fine an dandy.
    I think he may have been surface molting and didn't make it.
    I only had Heph since December and I'd just feel terrible if the reason he died was something I did.
    My boyfriend wants to get me another straw (even though they cost like $15 plus $25/ S&H), it was really surprising because he finally admitted to liking the crabs and wanting to do his best to make sure they're comfy.

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:hug2: You may never know the cause of his death so please don't beat yourself up.
    Those surface molts can be really difficult. I'm glad you have the support of your boyfriend---that's sweet. :flower:

5. sirenequidanse

sirenequidanse (Micro Crab)

so sorry to hear of your loss. sending hugs your way! :huggies: :huggies:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.