1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reminder to boil shells

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by kuplakrabs, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

It has been a while since I have placed an order for shells-I have quite the stock and really don't need anymore. But, since I was placing an order for more supplies a few more shells can't hurt right? LOL

Anyway, the ones I ordered are polished green land snail shells. I have read on a few different sites that some polished shells are treated with mineral oil to arrive at that nice shine. I could even smell the oil on them. I just wanted to make everyone aware that it is a pretty darn good idea to make sure you boil those shells before you offer them to your crabs [​IMG]

2. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

thanks for the heads up!

3. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

Thanks Wendy. We have noticed that when we boil very shiny shells, they usually lose most of their shine. Guess this is why.

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I'm not even positive that polished shells are all treated with some type of oil or not, but who wants to chance it? I have actually had an oily film on the top of the water when I finished boiling them. I usually boil them (the shiny shells) a few times to make certain there isn't any nasty ol' chemicals inside the shells.

When I can actually smell an oily based scent on a shell, it can't be too healthy for a crab [​IMG], nice for crafts perhaps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.