1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redesign of Water Area!

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by Mama Crabs, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Mama Crabs

Mama Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

I had a lot of problems with my Es digging up so much sand that they would fill my water dishes up with sand and the sand would draw out the water, so I tried out a new design that I saw done by HERMEZ.

I used plexiglass to create a division in my tank that was sand on one side and river rock on the water dish side. I kept the wall of plexiglass tall to keep the sand out. Now my crabs climb into the water area using fish net and vines. So far I really like it alot! Thanks HERMEZ!!

[img=400x300]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af115/MamaCrabs/DSC09076.jpg[/img]

[img=300x400]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af115/MamaCrabs/DSC09059.jpg[/img]

[img=300x400]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af115/MamaCrabs/DSC09060.jpg[/img]

[img=400x300]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af115/MamaCrabs/DSC09083.jpg[/img]

2. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

so pretty! your tank looks like a hermie tropical resort!

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:banana: looks great but how do you change the water and you have salt also? I love the tank its awesome!!

4. Mama Crabs

Thanks! Good Question HERMEZ, I have two jacuzzi water dishes sitting in the rocks. So I just lift them out of the tank to clean, then place them back in the rocks and fill one with fresh water and the other with salt water. I keep my salt water dish toward the back of the tank to keep the tank from getting salt water stains on the glass from the bubblers.

5. Bumble

Bumble (Micro Crab)

That looks very nice!  I'm sure the crabs are liking it!    :sunny:

What do you have as a heat source? 

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Alright!!  I love it!!  Great job!  :woohoo:

7. alliswell777

alliswell777 Guest

:kpics:  wow mama crabs!! that looks so neat! im lovin that! so many great ideas for my future tank!

8. kikee

kikee (Micro Crab)

That looks so cool

9. Mama Crabs

Hey Bumble, I just saw your question. I use a ceramic coil heating bulb in my hood to heat the tank. It runs on a hygrotherm that turns on the heat whenever it drops below the temp I have set, so it's all automated. So far, I really love it!

10. Mariah

Mariah "Preparing For First Molt"

looooovvve your tank!!!

11. Mama Crabs

Thanks Mariah, I've had a lot of help from this forum!

12. Bumble

Bumble (Micro Crab)

Thank you for replying, Mama Crabs!  What is and where would I find a Hygrotherm? 

And, how do you keep the plexi glass division upright?  Is it  -L- shaped so the weight of the sand holds it upright or do the rocks on one side and the sand on the other keep it in place? 

Sorry so many questions....just thinking through ideas to redo my tank.   

13. Mama Crabs

Hey, I don't mind questions, I'm sure I hold the record for the most questions asked!

The Hygrotherm is from ZooMed, you can see it here:
    http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=260&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=5&SearchContext=YTo1OntzOjg6IlNlYXJjaElEIjtzOjE6IjUiO3M6MTA6IkRhdGFiYXNlSUQiO3M6MToiMiI7czo4OiJLZXl3b3JkcyI7czoxMDoiaHlncm90aGVybSI7czo4OiJTZWFyY2hfeCI7czoyOiIyMiI7czo4OiJTZWFyY2hfeSI7czoyOiIxNiI7fQ==

As for the plexiglass. It's a single piece cut to the size of a rectangle. I made it slightly smaller than the tank so it would fit in, but still be close to the glass. I didn't need to use anything to mount it in place. The sand on one side and the rocks on the other keeps it very sturdy. My crabs climb up and over it and it hasn't moved a bit. I have about 5 inches of sand and 3.5 inches of river rock. Since my sand was moist, it was easy to remove the sand out of one side, creating a wall of sand where I was cutting it away, it was kinda like building a sand castle, it molded to the shape I wanted. Once the sand was removed, I just placed the plexiglass up against the sand, then poured river rock on the opposite side to hold it in place. It's easy breezy!

I got the plexiglass from Lowes, they cut it for me.