1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, lol not the band they wouldn't fit in the tank when I try

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by midnightrun9, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midnightrun9

midnightrun9 Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay, I have learned something new and wish to get some feed back. Could I feed my hermits Capsaicin or red hot chili pepper? I ask because it is suppose to be a good bug repellent. I deal with gnats and fungus flies all the time and figured since they live eat and drink in the tank the crabs would be safe with them. Sometimes they do get annoying especially in the summer, as well as if there may be mites. (BTW, what does a mite look like because several people noted they have wings or they are dust mites, no pics of mites on a crab)

Anyway, the chili pepper is very hot and should be handled with extreme care. After preparing the pepper, hands should be wash very well and to not touch the eyes. It is used to deter animals and pets as well as pest in the garden. It comes in three forms whole, ground and liquid. Yes, I have looked it up but few sites have the hermit crab and red pepper and mite search. Ill continue to research.

2. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

I think hot peppers would not be good,if it irritates our eyes and mouth I would think it would irritate the crabs gills.Crabs are simmular to insects in that they have an exo. so anything that is a bug repellent could bother a crab. I could be wrong,maybe if it was dried to cut down on the oils.Hopefully someone comes along with better advice and help with the mites. I have had a gnat problem in my house but not in my tank because I use beach sand. Gnats will not lay eggs in sand,it is advised to put sand in a potted plant that is infested.All my plants upstairs and down were infested but not my tank and you think they would love the moist and warm conditions.Maybe you could use all sand for awhile.
    IBlab crab

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

actually Hermit crabs do not have the same kind of taste buds as us. I know that they can eat jalapeno peppers.

4. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

I did not know that Trixie. I was not thinking of taste buds but,how do I explain?Like how raw onions irritate our eyes.Does that make any sense?Were the jalapenos dried? Did you give them the seeds?
    IBlab crab

5. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I grew a garden and cut them in half and gave it to them. They can not taste the burn like we can but they weren't a big favorite.

6. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

if i look at a pepper of any kind my guts go whoooosh, red alarm fire! i did try to feed my crabs green and red bell peppers they didn't eat them. can't imagine feeding the red hot chili peppers? is that something that is found around their natural habitat where they would live?
    isn't there a band called rot hot chili peppers? off the subject i know......

7. midnightrun9

midnightrun9 Hi, I'm New Here!

lol, yes there is a band called Red Hot Chili Pepper. Well, I figure if the hermit crabs don't take an interest in the peppers then my Gnat problem will be settled sort of. I heard coffee grounds is also a buggie deterrent and that some where on line someone had dumped their used coffee grounds (fresh coffee grounds is very acidic) and the wild hermits just went crazy.

Also if you have a problem with squirrels but love the birds ppl sprinkle chyanne (spell check) pepper on the suet and feed to stop the unwanted dinners.
    --Part of the idea of peppers in the crab tank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.