1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

questions...sorry it's long

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by kaw0521, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaw0521

kaw0521 Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi all,

I have had a little crab Morrow, smaller than a quarter since Sept. 08. It has never molted due my having the wrong substrate....Calci Sand. I'm a victim of actually listening to the pet stores...sigh! Two weeks ago I switched to saltwater moist play sand and needless to say all of my crabs are enjoying it! I've noticed small tunnels being built which makes me very happy, and now the poor little small crab who has not molted has gone under. I'm really concerned that the other two crabs will disturb it as they are somewhat larger and the small one almost seems a little intimidated by the others.

My question is....they are all currently in a 10 gallon tank. I've got a smaller plastic 5 gallon tank. Should I move the two who are not showing any molting symptoms, or just let it be. I have had the small one for 6 months now and the others I got with it all died during surface molts 4 months ago so it holds a special place in my heart as being my little survivor while I learned the ropes.

Yesterday when I saw the tunnels, it almost appeared when I looked later like the crabs, don't know which, had moved shells over them and kind of messed with them.

Thanks...you guys are awesome and I always appreciate your advice.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

How many and what size crabs do you have in a 10G? I hate 10G they just are not big enough--I would leave all alone unless your substrate is not very deep.

IMHO only micro's - teenies and maybe 2 smalls (quarter size) should be in a 10G - bigger crabs need room- these creatures walk miles and miles at night they cant do that in a small tank

3. kaw0521

kaw0521 Hi, I'm New Here!

There is a total of 3 in the tank including the one who went under. The one under is tiny. One is was the size of a quarter and moved into a shell a little bigger (1 inch) than a quarter, the other is a bit smaller than a golf ball, in a 1 1/2 inch shell if that helps. Neither are jumbos or even really large. I looked this morning and it appears where the tiny tunneled down has not been disturbed. The sand almost 5" deep so plenty of depth I believe. Thanks for the advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.