1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

?Question?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Cling's girl!, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cling's girl!

Cling's girl! Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay this is kind of a silly question but I have a hermit crab. Yes just one:(. I will of had him for a year in November. My hermit crab is very inactive. He burrows in his corner and NEVER moves the only time he moves is when I take him out of the tank to play or to change food or water. For his water I have a sponge( i was told to do this instead of a bowl because they could drown) well when I change his water he sits on the sponge for like 30 minutes and then he goes back to his corner. I have never seen him eat and I havent ever seen a change in the amount of food when I change it. Is this normal or do I need to do something like add somthing to my tank?

Ps Is it ok to use a fishtank light for my hermie tank?

2. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

Could be a number of things, Go ahead and answer these questions for us and we can get probably help you out a little better.

How long have you had the crab(s) in question?

Do you know what species they are?

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs?

Tank Size:

Lid Type:

Placement of tank in your home:

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth):

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy?

Placement of Gauges:

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees %

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it):

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage):

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide?

Is there any metal in your tank?

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank?

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)?

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind?

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use?

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges?

How many extra shells do you have for each crab?

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank?

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in?

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands?

How often do you handle them?

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc?

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank?

What types of foods do you feed?

What do you use as a calcium supplement?

If you can't answer all of them, answer as many quetions as truthfully as you can so we can get started!

3. Cling's girl!

Cling's girl! Hi, I'm New Here!

How long have you had the crab(s) in question?
    a year in November
    Do you know what species they are?
    I think its just a land hermit crab
    Did you/Do you isolate new crabs?
    no i only have one
    Tank Size:
    10 gallon
    Lid Type:
    fish tank lid with holes were filter and thermometer should go
    Placement of tank in your home:
    in my bedroom away from all windows and air vents
    Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth):
    ? I have rocks and sand if thats what you mean? Its about 1or 2 inches deep
    Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital

Did you test your humidity gauge for accura

Placement of Gauges:

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees %
    temp: about 75
    Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it):none

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage):
    Floresant light
    Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide?
    yea
    Is there any metal in your tank?
    nope
    What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank?
    I have a rock and a papertowel roll wrapped in string so he can climb
    What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)?
    tap
    If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind?
    no
    Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use?
    no
    Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges?
    just sponges
    How many extra shells do you have for each crab?
    just one
    Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank?
    yes
    Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in?yes about 1 a week in a cup of warm water

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands?
    yes
    How often do you handle them?
    once a week or more
    Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc?
    no
    Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank?
    yes
    What types of foods do you feed?
    crab cakes and coconut treats
    What do you use as a calcium supplement?

i dont
    If you can't answer all of them, answer as many quetions as truthfully as you can so we can get started!

4. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

Okay. There are a number of reasons your crab could be inactive.

Lets get you headed in the right direction.

1. You need to get dechlorinated water. Tap water has lots of chlorine in it while can literally dry up your crab. They can get blisters and its very dangerous. You need to get salt water as well. All crabs need salt water. You can't use table salt, and you can purchase it pretty much anywhere that sells fishies.
    2. You need dishes for water, not just sponges. Crabs need to be able to totally submerge themselves.
    3. Your substrate needs to be deeper. It should be twice as deep as your crab is tall. Are you using rocks in your substrate? Its best to use forest bedding or sand, or both. Rocks can damage their sensitive bellies.
    4. You need a calcium supplement. It gives them a strong healthy skeleton. You can get calcium powder or a cuttlebone in the bird sections of stores. It's pretty cheap.
    5. Fresh fruit and veggies are best for your crab, purchased crab food from the store contains bad chemicals.
    6. It's important to get a temp and humidity guage becuase crabs breathe through modified gills. Humidity needs to be around 70%.

Hermit crabs bury and hide to destress. It is important to leave your crab alone during these times because stress is the COD probably about 75% of the time.

Once you make these changes you will notice a big change in your crab. He will probably destress for a month of so and he will most likely molt.

How big is your crab? Has he molted before?

5. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Definitely also get your crab some friends. You need more than one. They live in packs of hundreds in the wild, so to go from that to only having one is tough ...

Take the rocks out and I wouldn't be bathing once a week. If you get those dishes that Mallie told you about, they will submerge themselves when they feel the need. Sponges, to me, are really useless ...

Go to this site for edible and non-edible foods to enable you to feed more variety .... epicureanhermit.com - Home

Good luck to you and your crabby!

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Definitely get him some friends. The only time you need a sponge is if you have larger hermit crabs the need a deeper dish. A small sponge in the deeper dish will keep your smaller hermies from drowning if the fall in the dish...gives them something to grab on to. Also, flousescent lighting doesn't provide any heat source...they emit "cool" light. I set a small table lamp next to my tank when I am having temp. problems. Correct humidity is very essential....they breathe through gills and can suffocate if thehumidity is too low...you can buy a dual thermometer/hygrometer at any major pet store....most pet stores that sell hermit crabs have a section of items for your hermies. I have also found that often, the sales kids are not very knowledgeable about hermie care. I would advise you to do alot of research and really learn about crabbies. Also, If your lid has holes in it, you are losing humidity. You can either buy a glass top on buy a screen top and cover it most of the way with plastic wrap...I leave about an inch uncovered to alow some fresh air in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.