1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about safe woods in tanks

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by mollydog, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mollydog

mollydog Hi, I'm New Here!

Would it be ok to use untreated pine from Home Depot to make platforms in a crabitat? Should I use small nails or wood glue to put them together?
    Can I use apple tree branches? I use the trimmings from apple tree prunings (small branches) for my rabbit to chew on - would it be ok to use them in the crabitat for the crabs to climb on?
    Another site told me pine was bad for crabs - I hadn't heard that before.

2. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Pine and cedar act as natural insect repellents which are harmful to crabs because they are arthropods, same as insects.

Not sure about apple tree. Someone else will know. :)

Oh, and no metal (small nails) in the tanks. Rust could form.

3. mollydog

mollydog Hi, I'm New Here!

What about other untreated woods - like birch, maple, oak? I guess aspen is in the pine family. I think I see insects on pine trees ocassionally but I won't take a chance on using it if it might hurt them. I do have a wooden ladder in their tank that was for a bird cage - that would be ok, right? Although I don't know what type of wood it is made of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.