1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about food?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by marleyfish, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marleyfish

marleyfish "First Molt In Progress"

my girlfriend and i have been going on a bit of an organic kick lately, so the hermies have been getting some pretty nice salads. what im wondering is what can i feed them and is there anything i should avoid? ive been just giving them (romaine heart,baby spinach,celery,honey,carrot and olive oil.
    and are all the fruits you guys feed ur hermies organic? because i have had a hard time finding allot of organic fruit.

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

If you look to the left its has other sites. Second one down is EH. they will have all the info on foods and other things your crab can eat,. I did see a list on here a long time on the fruits u can give them from the store. you can give it to them just make sure it is rinsed very well and dont give them the skin.
    I usually try to give them organic but sometimes it doesnt workout that way.

3. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

walmart has a brand of babyfood that is organic I can't remember the name, it's not beechnut, maybe Harvest something? it says organic. There is one I think it is beechnut it says Pumpkin/? they love it! You can give them apple & bananna just not the peels, cook popcorn in olive oil, fry an egg in olive oil. mmm mmm good!

4. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

huh, never thought of feeding my crabs baby food before, but thanks for the idea scoobdoo, I'll see if I can get some next time I go to Walmart :katertater:

As for your question marleyfish, like trixie said, epicurean-hermit has great safe food guides. Also, out of the things you mentionned that you feed your crabs, there's no meat, so maybe some unseasonned fish or chicken or other meat can be good for them...

And you asked if all the food we feed them is organic...well, for me, no, I don't feed them all organic stuff. for fruits or veggies that aren't organic, I just make sure to wash the fruit well before giving it to the crabs, or you can peel off the skin incase there's chemicals on it. I never had a problem :) hope this helps a bit! ;D

5. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

I haven't fed mine any pumpkin, and my food is not organic. I have a pp that absolutely loves pecans, and boiled squash and boiled chicken. When I'm cooking, I keep a couple of bites out and boil the food, and if I have plenty I freeze what I have left. The pecans are not salted, the ones you use in recipes such as cakes and pies. Hope this helps.

Debbie

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Something else my crabs love are Rose Petals. I pick a rose and pull off the flower petals, inspect it closely for bugs, then put them in the food dish. It's "standing room only" in there! :chuckle:

7. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Everytime I put roses or any flower in the tank it is never in their bowl in the morning.They are all over the tank.They really like their flowers.
    I pick them from my yard then I soak them for a hour or so in dec. water. Then I put them on a paper plate and put them under the day lamp to dryout. It works pretty good.

8. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I put raw squash in there, they didn't touch it, I will cook it and see if they will eat it. I had dried flowers petals rose maybe? from one of shops they snub their nose at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.