1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about coral

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by clonehappy, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clonehappy

clonehappy "First Molt, A Success"

I'm pretty new to the site, and kinda new to crabbing (but totally addicted) and was just wondering ...
    I got a sample of a mushroom coral, is it safe for my crabbies to munch on? I use the substrate from the crabbage patch that has some oyster shell in it and have started cutting up some fresh fruits (cantelope, honey dew, strawberries and grapes), as well as using worm casings and the PP mix from this wonderful store :)

Just mainly wanted to know if the coral is ok, cause I kinda already put it in there and they are ALL over it (I boiled it for a while and let it cool first). So apparently I'm guessing they aren't getting enough calcium if they are going nutty for it. Thanks in advance :)

2. Crab*Fanci

Crab*Fanci (Micro Crab)

I've never heard of mushroom coral before. Did you get it from a crab place? If the hermit crabs could find it where they come from theres a pretty good chance its not poisonious.

3. clonehappy

I got it from Sea Shell City as a little extra gift after buying some shells for my hermies. I looked around their site to see what type it was and it was listed under mushroom coral for of course being the shape of the cap o' a mushroom :)

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

This kind of coral is an easy to grow coral and most often seen in aquariums. I would think it would be fine, but hopefully someone else will chime in with an answer.

Did you order off the website or did you go to their store?

5. clonehappy

Ordered the shells online. I ended up ordering some "sea cookies" / sand dollars and some crushed oyster shell to add in their crabitat, they will be moving to a new mighty large new home soon so I'm getting prepared. My hubby got me size 40 critter tank/terrarium for an early birthday present and we are just waiting on the stand and substrate to come in and some UTHs and I'll have alot more stuff in there for them to have as a calcium suppliment I just dont have a whole lot of room left for too much in my current 10 gallon I have them in at the moment.

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:cheer: All right! Congratulations...you'll have sooo much room to decorate you won't know where to start. And de crabbys will think they've been set free. :biglaugh:

7. clonehappy

Oh believe me I cannot WAIT :D My sweety really really doesn't want me to get the Misty Mountain Volcano, but omg I am drawn to it like a moth to a flame. Whether I use it for a humidity boost or just plain old awesome factor I want it sooo bad. He's very minimalist so this will be interesting lol. He's getting into a salt water aquarium hobby (yet he has fallen in love with our crabbies too it's so cute) so I'll tell him I wont tell him what to put in his tank or not to put in his tank if he lets me have my volcano! hehe :D

I want to do a 2nd level and all with a shell shop so the shells dont get all sandy and whatnot, just trying to find a good way to do it all since sometimes I have one heck of a time thinking out of the box as it were.

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

The coral should be fine for them to eat. They'd more hten likely come across it washed up on the beach in the wild. Lit us know how they like it.

I saw a huge volcano ornament in the fish section at out petco. It looks really kewl! The thing with the foggers, and Madman can explain more, is that they tend to really saturate the substrate so keep that in mind.

9. clonehappy

They went silly for the coral in their 10gal for sure, but for now I left it in there for the 2 molters to come up and munch on. I've crushed up some egg shells and sand dollars AND have strewn oyster shell bits around the new tank :) They are so much more active lately it's wonderful! I just saw Red slide down the bubbler tube line like a firemans pole ... now THAT was hilarious. Oh and Vicky they LOVE your dried Persimmons hehe :party:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.