1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about canned hermit food

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by Sandy C., Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandy C.

Sandy C. Guest

I was at Petsmart today and stumbled across an interesting hermit crab food that I just had to try. There are only two ingredients: deshelled snails and river shrimp. I opened the can, and it smells pretty strongly of those two things (won't be putting it near my nose again any time soon) (I'm also 8 months pregnant, so I don't need anything else makig me nauseous!). So, here's my question. Ok, actually, a bunch of questions!

1. Should I just refrigerate it as the can says, or will it go gross and moldy on me (I don't have a large collection of crabs) (should I freeze portions -- the whole can is about the size of a smaller cat food can)
    2. Do I need to transfer it to a non-metallic container?
    3. The little shrimp -- do I need to chop them up, or can crabs get anything out of them as is? They are teeny-tiny, but not sure if the crabs can "break into" the good stuff.

It is made by JurassiDiet. Has anyone else tried this? It says the snails are "farm raised," so I doubt it's organic, but I figure a whole-critter-type-food is better than processed commercial stuff. Since I don't eat much seafood, I worry that my crabs don't get enough, either (no leftovers).

Thanks for any advice!
    -Sandy C. :twirl:

2. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

I haven't see that specific food, so I really can't comment on it. However, it's fairly easy to give your crabs seafood, even though you don't eat it yourself.....

They sell small bags of whole shrimp at most grocercy stores....you will find it in the frozen foods. Also, most pet stores sell frozen cubes of seafood including krill, brine shrimp, bloodworms, mysis shrimp, etc. Because they are small cubes, they are already divided into individual servings.

I also feed my guys the dried baby shrimp, dried krill, or other selections, which you can find in the fish food aisle at most pet stores. Vicki also sells several dried seafood items in her Addiction store. However, I wouldn't recomend buying the squid until after you have the baby....it doesn't smell or look so good! :crying:

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I tried that and I did refrig it- although I could not bring myself to open the can again and I dont think they even liked it.
    Wont be on my shopping list again- someone gave it to me ::)

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

are the items fresh or dried? you can keep it in the freezer to make it last longer.

5. Sandy C.

Sandy C. Guest

The shrimp and snails look pretty fresh. My hermies seem to have some interest in the shrimp -- I've noticed pieces missing the next day. Not sure that they are as big on the snails. Oh well, worth a try. I will try to buy just a few shrimp next time I am somewhere that they sell them by the pound. I'm just sure the worker will love me for buying two or three shrimp! I've done freeze dried bloodworms and plankton (I also have aquarium fish), but haven't bought the frozen stuff yet. I guess that'll be next on my list! Thanks everyone for your feedback!

-Sandy C. :twirl:

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

If you have a dehydrator you can dry the fresh stuff and then keep it sealed in a baggie.

7. Sandy C.

Sandy C. Guest

Thanks Vicki!

That's a good idea. We do have a dehydrator. Maybe I'll make that my husband's project this weekend! (I'm sure he'll be just thrilled) :muahaha:

-Sandy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.