1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proud new owner of a bunch of crabs.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by greengreen, Jan 5, 2011.

1. greengreen

greengreen Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello everyone,
    I am now the proud owner of a cast of 21 crabs.
    They are Coenobita variabilis. They arrived today. They seem to have settled in nicely and are eating, drinking, swimming, climbing, and swapping shells. In fact, two swapped into new shells almost immediately upon arrival.
    I'm open to any and all advice you good people here can give me.
    Cheers!

edit:
    I'd like to get a hydrometer. Anyone have experience with choosing a good one?

2. marmaladechainsaw

marmaladechainsaw (Micro Crab)

Welcome. :3 I'm still new here myself, and always learning and absorbing crabby information. Just make sure to read up as much as you can on crab care here.  :hermzpoo:

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Welcome GreenGreen, were glad to have you here!

What you really need is a Hygrometer, which is a device that measures humidity.
    Once again it is a matter of preference and not all Hygrometers are created equal.  For me personally, I got tired of fooling around with so many of them that I went to a Hygrometer that is used for Cigars/Humidors.  If you have a place around you that sells cigars, you can pick up a nice digital one for around $18.00.  I loved mine, which was accurate within !% after doing the initial recalibration before using it.  

I say I  Loved It because I recently dropped it in a bucket of water and now have to replace it.   :BangHead:

In my readings, I have found a few of the crabbers really like the Caliber III.  Amazon.com  has it and some good reviews on it too.

Here is how to calibrate your Hygrometer/Temp gage no matter which kind you get.

It's good to make sure your gauges are reading correctly. Here's how!
    1. Get 2 heavy duty zip lock baggies.
    2. table salt
    3. small container for salt( 2 liter soda bottle top for example)

Put the salt in the container. Put a few drops of water onto the salt, just to moisten the salt. Then place the container inside the baggie. Now place the gauge in the baggie. Make sure you have this in a spot somewhere that no small kids can get to or that it can be knocked over. Wait between 4-6 hours. When you check it after that amount of time, look in the bag without opening it.Your gauge should be reading 75%. If it IS NOT, then thats how much your gauge is off by. To fix this you can get a small screwdriver and turn the screw on the gauge. If it's off by 7%(68%) then turn it so it reads 7% higher.

4. greengreen

greengreen Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi there!
    I already have a hygrometer. I really do mean hydrometer, to measure salinity. Any ideas?