1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Products I have Questions about!

Discussion in 'Product Reviews.' started by crabbydude, Oct 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabbydude

crabbydude Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey everyone! Just wanted to ask som questions!
    1.) The Misty Volcano- Could it fit into a 20 gallon long if not- a 29 gallon? Also, how long does the water you put in it last until it shuts off?
    2.) Combination lighting hood. Should I get it? What size do i need in inche- the carton doesn't say the tank size- just the dimensions.
    3.) Eco-Earth how well do the crabs like it? How many bricks do I need for a 20 gallon long or a 29 gallon?
    Thanks in advance!
    Jeff

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I have my Misty Mountain Volcano out for cleaning at the moment. I held it up to my 20L, and while you could make it fit in, it would only be an inch or so from the top. I wouldn't do it for fear my crabs would use it to climb out. It would probably be okay in a 29 gallon -- they are 18 inches tall, while the 20L is only 12. 20Ls and 29 gallons both have a footprint of 30 X 12, so you'd need a 30 inch fixture. I just ordered one for my 75 gallon myself, but the fixture for the flourescent light doesn't seem to work. [​IMG] I would be afraid that on the 20L, the fixture would be too close to the crabs or over-dry the smaller space. It might be okay on a 29 gallon, but I can't speak from experience on that. And I'm not an EE user, so I'll have to let someone else answer that part as well. But I suspect that one brick would be plenty -- EE goes a long way.

3. crabbydude

Thanks Morie Eel! I also have one more product to ask about- there is a thing at my petstores called repti-vine Has anyone used it? By the way Morie- I have had my straws One month today!!! Im so excited. But I cannot seem to keep ruggies alive [​IMG] I love my straws! I also have an indo and he is really shy. I cannot go into the room without him either going into his shell or running away. LOL Also today i tried my first flower- i gave him a hibuscis flower the straws love it- but of coarse they love anything LOL [​IMG]

4. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

I searched it up... that's cool! I'd like to try that!

5. crabbydude

Hey everyone!! Just got back from
    PETCO and PETLAND!! I bought eco-earth and it's awsome!! I also couldn't fight the earge to get another crabby- I wanted a indo and a cavipe but only had micro-large pp's and micro- medium Ruggies. So, i got another straw- she is very dark. Man- I can't wait for Christmas! Gift card Gilour! Also- the are building a petsmart down my street! Flippin Sweet!!!!
    Jeff

6. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Cool- another straw! (I'd just like 1 straw atleast--or not PP, in this case!... I've NEVER had anything, EXCEPT PP's[​IMG].)

7. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I have had mixed luck with Ruggies myself. [​IMG] Some of mine at least seem to be doing well, though. Congrats on your new Straw, and I'm glad your other Straws are doing well.

My Indos started out shy too, but now that I've had my four about six months they seem to be out and about more. I picked up two more of them a few weeks ago, too. Indos were the "exotic" species that most fascinated me before exotics started showing up in my area. I think it's the fact that they have a behavior that no other crabs have, though I have only seen my original Indo (who has since passed on) do it. It's called "storking": to make themselves look bigger when they feel threatened, they will hold their outer walking legs out much as a bird might spread its wings.

Is the repti-vine the flexible vine made of a kind of rubbery plastic? I have one of those somewhere. My crabs didn't show much interest in it -- they like the leaf-covered vines that suction-cup to the side of the tank much better.

8. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Hey, don't dog on the PP's! Go PP's Go PP's...

9. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

Hi Crabbydude.. it looks like you already got your answer regarding the volcano size. I have it in my 40 gallon breeder. When I fill it to the top it runs for about 1-2 hours and shuts itself off when the water level gets low. It's not the kind of thing you would want running all the time, it tends to raise the humidy really high even in my 40 gallon with the lid cracked & fogs up the tank walls. I run it on special occassions (like when my kids beg me, or we have company) and most of the time my crabs just think it is the most awesome (& expensive) combination climbing toy/crabby toilet ever! They sit at the top of it all the time and no lie when I clean it out that sucker is just FULL of crab noodles! If you only have room for one large item I would highly recommend a fresh water fountain instead. They come in all sizes, increase the humidity in the tank plenty, are just as decorative, but more functional as they eliminate the need for both a fogger/bubbler and fresh water dish. I bought the fountain & volcano at the same time, and while I still think the volcano is really cool- I can tell you the fountain is one thing I would never want to be without.

OH, the reptivine is awesome, I have it all over my tank in all sizes and my crabs love it. It shapes however you want it, and you can wrap it around other objects in the tank so that smaller crabs can climb easier. I also love the way it looks very natural.

10. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

Also, the combo light is great. It does not need to fit the entire length on your tank, as long as it is not too big. Just try to get one with separate fixture controls, otherwise there is no point. I have one with a fluorescent and two incandescent sockets on three separate switches- I put two 15 watt moonglows in the sockets and those I keep on all the time for heat. The florescent I turn off at night/ on in the day. I thought I would need more than the two 15 watt bulbs in the winter, but I was able to keep my tank perfect all winter with just the two bulbs for heat. If it is too hot for your tank, try just leaving the one bulb on. The florescent gives off little to no heat, and is just for lighting purposes. What makes it nice is that you can have a moon glow (or two) on all the time for heat and still have room for a daytime light on the hood.

11. sunsleaf

sunsleaf Hi, I'm New Here!

I have a 20 long and the amount of eco-earth depends on the depth you want it. I have 2 bricks mixed with a 2lbs bag of calcisand covering a little over half the bottom of the tank at about 3"-5" deep. I have strawberries.. the depth is important for them to be able to properly bury themselves.
    Anyway.. I also use some of it after it's dried out on shelves and such. The other half of the tank is covered in 2.5"-3" of calcisand and the corners have piles of live moss. The hermies love the moss over the sand, especially the medium ones, because they don't have to dig as deep and the EE is a big hit with all of them from tiny to the behemith known as Hermione Crab. She's a strawberry.. Her shell has got to be 4" across and she has a habit of 'redecorating' so we had to fasten some things down with suction cups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.