1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Private Petshop

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by chazmom, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chazmom

chazmom Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi all - I've spent the last 40 minutes or so reading about how you all handle the "difficult" places. There is a private pet shop in Wayne Co, Ohio that is litteraly (sp?) at the bottom.

I stopped in just to see if it was as bad as I heard and about gagged from the smell! Fuzzy stuff growing in the fish tanks, cloudy water, a bag of dirty bedding and ugghhhh you get the idea. I asked about hermies and she showed me a 10 gal with about 15 of asorted sizes. No water, no food, no cover, no gauges - I was apalled. I only brought home 2 of the bigger boys just because! Has anyone had any luck by going through the humane society or other local organization for these places that call themselves "pet stores"?

One good thing (other than my new friends) was a 40 gal breeder and stand for $60! That was a buy!!!!

You guys do a great job providing information!

2. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

Hi chazmom, welcome here! [​IMG]

3. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

We have had some success getting some Larger, and some local PS's to change their ways. Persistence and patience (not to scream at them) are the key here. We are working as a team to educate PS's everywhere so that groups like PETA won't have to talk bad about hermit crab owners. They see what we see...bad store environments...un-cared for, un-nurtured animals...this is where we step in. We must educate as many as we can, in the rights and wrongs of Hermit Crab Care. Thanks for joining our site, and hope you stay with us, and enjoy what we have to offer!

4. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG]First of all I wanted to say hi, and welcome. We are glad to have you joined. This site is great and always making small changes to make it even better. [​IMG]

As far as the PS's are concerned, I think Jenny about summed it up. [​IMG]

5. chazmom

chazmom Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks for the feedback.

I just returned from a trip to this little shop and things were much better today. The store still smelled (just not as bad) and some fish tanks had actually been cleaned.

I was suprised to see a new hermit crab tank complete with food & water. Unfortunately it also included a new shipment of crabs! Everything from some little guys that are about the size of a dime to some that were plum size plus. Not a good mix and too many without enough substrate. But she had provide some climbing places just no where to hide. There were a couple of legs lying about as well -

I resisted the urge and only brought home two little guys (dime size). One is very active and friendly - he's sitting here on my desk at work entertaining himself and me! But the other fella won't come out, he's got holes in his shell and has to be totally stressed. (I can't leave them in the car till 5:00 - brrr!)

I'll tuck them both into the ISO when I get home and hopefully things will improve.

I guess I just need to make frequent trips to the store (I have always avoided it!), resist the urge to rescue! and try to educate.

Owner was very talkative today, friendly. She seems to have an idea of what she is doing just not totally in tune with having so many animals to care for and what their needs are.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Till next time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.