1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preparing Eco-Earth (per brick)

Discussion in '~HCRU Hard Drive~ - Carved In Stone' started by kuplakrabs, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Cappa, here is the information you wanted...I hope [​IMG] it is what you were expecting.

Well, I have the official instructions for the Eco-Earth brand of coconut fiber bedding-but that is not to say they are proper for use with substrate placed in a crabitat. I have found by following the package directions, there is way too much water and it takes a bit longer to sit and squeeze all of the excess water out of it. Not to mention how much of the bedding that gets wasted because it is too wet to bother squeezing the last little bit in the container.

Here are the package directions: It says it makes 7-8 litres of substrate (expands about 8 times in size)

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">Place brick in a pail/bucket or sink.
    Add 4 quarts (3-4 liters) of water.
    Allow brick to expand for 20-30 minutes.
    Wring out excess moisture.
    For small animals, snakes and tarantulas use dry, by laying out moist substrate in the sun before moving to your animals enclosure.
    </span>

I am going to make up a brick tonight to add to my 30g. I will let you know just how much water I actually use.

Here are the instructions I follow:

1. Place the brick on its side in a clean 3 or 5 gallon pail or plastic tub that is at least 14"l x 10"w X 9"h (NOT in a sink-may contain chemicals) (so the long thin edge is contacting the bottom of the container) This helps distribute the water more evenly and avoid dry spots.

2. Pour 80 oz (or 2 quarts + 2 cups) of very hot dechlorinated water over the top of the brick. The hotter water helps it absorb faster. You may also use boiling water, but becareful of the type of container you pour it into. Optional: I also add 1/2 the normally recommended amount of salt used to prepare your salt water mix to my water before pouring it over the brick. I think this helps to inhibit mold, but this is purely speculative.

3. Cover and let it stand for approximately 15-20 minutes.

4. Use your clean hands to break up any dry areas and mix them into the rest of the substrate.

5. Let it cool before placing into the tank.

6. 1 brick will make about 3 1/2 inches of substrate in a 10 gallon tank. Total volume of an expanded brick is approximately 32 cups.

This is the "moistness" that I use when I put EE into my crabitat. If I pick up a handful of the prepared substrate and squeeze, I'm not able to get so much as an extra drop of water.

2. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

When I make mine I don't measure the water I just put 2 bricks in a big bucket with a lot of water. When it's ready my husband grabs handfuls at a time and sqeezes as much water as possiable out and puts it into another smaller bucket and then I dump it into my tank. It's alittle extra work, but because it's just damp I have never ever had any mold in my tank. It is still damp enough they can bury and tuunel.

I keep my humidity up to 80% so I never have to wet it yet it's dry enough not to mold so quickly and if I have any suprize molts my humidity is good for them. [​IMG]

I have had 37 good molts and 2 bad in the EE prepared this way.

3. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG]Wow sounds like ya go thru alot to get this stuff the way ya need it, me i just like using my peatmoss from Schultz pour out of bag into a big mixing bowl slowly add some warm water to it while stiring it till its just moist enough add 1 cup dry sand and mix and im good to go.. [​IMG] [​IMG] Works great for me and aint had no probs with its since using it, from time to time in the tank i just stir it up and that way it gets air flow and also it dont mold and then i re wet it alittle while im cleaning or refreshing dishes. You can do the same thing with Spagnumoss from Schultz as well.

4. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

It really isn't as much trouble as it sounds. You have to add the water to make it expand anyway, so the only extra step I take is sqeezing it out before adding it to the tank.

5. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

This is a Great Reference Thread, Why don't one of the Mods try and move this thread to the library. Jenny thinks she has fixed the problem you guys were having before with that issue.

Cappa

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.