1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-molt behavior

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Donna M, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

I have a med/large crab named Shorty that is apparently getting ready to molt again. He's had the food/water storage bubble for weeks, and has been very lethargic. (He's normally very active). My question is, for how long will a crab show pre-molt symptoms before he actually starts digging?

He hasn't hardly moved in weeks. I haven't seen him eat or drink for weeks, either! (and I'm up late into the night sometimes). When I spritz the tank, all the crabs become active, and sometimes he'll then change position, but then he'll just sit in the same spot for days. Literally! I'm worried about him.

Tonight I coaxed him out from under the hut and he did walk around the tank a bit. He walked right through the food dish, and up to both water dishes, but never took a bit of food or a drop of water. I've even tried slipping a slice of apple (his favorite food) in front of him when he's under the hut, but he ignores it or turns his back to it.

Is this normal? He didn't act like this for his first molt.

Thanks!
    Donna M.

2. Donna M

He's still acting the same. I sure could use some input.

Thanks!

3. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

to answer you fist Q, know one really knows how long .
    and 2 he may be geting ready for a suface molt

4. Donna M

Ewwww, a surface molt? I sure hope not. I don't like molting when they're buried. (I worry they'll never come back up). I'll really be a mess if he molts right in front of me!

Thanks for your reply!

Donna M.

5. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Do you have an iso? He may be too weak to dig at this point. I'd place himin iso as soon as possible. Another thing you can do is to cut a two liter soda bottle in half and to sink it down in the substrate around the crab until he does what he needs to do and recovers form it. Put a small bootle cap with honey and another one with calcium in with him. Also small dishes of both kinds of water. The crab seems to know what he is doing. The best thing you can do is to stop worrying and put your effort into protecting him. Good luck!

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Donna M, you'll need to get a bottle of Visine---because if you're anything like me, you'll be bleary-eyed and bloodshot from staring at the tank all the time!! hahahaha :D Good luck with your crabby...

7. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Its no cut n dry science to crabs--you will drive yourself insane. Listen to me- your doing what you can.....the crab is doing what he can- maybe he wont make it- maybe this is going to be a tough molt. We never know what goes wrong when it goes wrong MOST of the time- Dont move him. If the other crabs are not bothering him- let him be and see what happens. Remember their molt saks can feed them for months- its us trying to rationalize everything that drives us crazy--please keep us posted and I am hoping for the best~:)

8. Donna M

Well, Shorty is still the same. Still uninterested in moving, just sleeps under the hut all the time. But when I spritz the tank, all 4 of my crabbies kind of wake up and start moving around. Then when I approach the tank, Shorty still has the energy to run like the blazes. At least I caught him eating tonight, so that's good.

Thanks, Hermez, and to all of you, for your interest.
    Happy Holidays!

Donna M.

9. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

what is a storage bubble?

10. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

A storage bubble is this little sac thing the hermit crab produces when about to go through the molting process, it holds water and food and it can hydrate them and keep them fed for some time, considering theyre so inactive when pre-molting and molting, kinda like a bear or squirrel gathering things before winter :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.