1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pps?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by clover, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

my dad brought me a medium/large hermie today! but....i put him in the tank about 2 hours ago and he hasnt moved and he cant fit all the way in his shell. my other hermies where touching him but he wunt move.

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Make sure you ISO him for at least a month. It's very important. Check your humidity and temp. You said you had not calibrated it earlier but make sure you do. If you don't have an ISO tank then put him in a plastic container or something until you can get a small tank. Give him food, salt water etc. Try to match the conditions of his old tank and then built it up towards your main tank. Don't handle him for the first couple of weeks. How is your upgrade going? Maybe you could keep him in your old ten gallon when you get a bigger tank. Does he have a name yet? Offer him plenty of shells as well. It may take him a long time to recover from the stress of moving. Give him time. Keep the forum updated as more information would help. Take the temp and humidity of your main tank. I thing I know quite a bit about yours but some extra info would help. Also ask you dad about the conditions of the pet store.
    Good Luck.

3. clover

i am going to get my new tank next weekend its 70 dollars and it is a 29 g
    his eyes are cloudy he is missing a leg and when i put him in the saltwwater 3 hours ago he is still in it.

4. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Clover, if your conditions are moist, and the crab came from a very dry environment, it could be very dangerous for him. I lost a crab just from such a thing. I put him in a tank with 75% humidity and he had come from a completely dry store, and he actually drowned from the moisture in the air. It was too much, he had no time to adjust.

It does sound as though your new hermie may have PMS if his eyes are cloudy, but that is not always an indicator. Sometimes you can see if his old exo looks like it's pulling away and there is new exo underneath, at the leg joints mainly.

if you can get him into an iso with drier conditions (if he came from dry conditions only) please do so. Also with a temperature similar to the temp he was in at the pet store. Best if you isolate him, as new crabs have the potential to carry disease you don't want to spread to your other hermies, or even mites.

Keeping them iso'd also helps them destress before they are introduced to even more stress, which is competition for food and space (the way they see it) and territory when you move him in with your other crabs.

And if he does have PMS, iso would be best since he's new, too.
    Set him up with an iso and get him in it asap. :)

Good luck hon, glad to hear you are getting your new tank soon!

5. clover

i will try to get an iso today. i am starting to think this is the end of the road for sebastian. it kills me to see what he is doing right now. i put him in the saltwater dish at about 9 pm last night and now it is 9:30 am and he is still in the same position in the dish and not in his shell all the way. i am scared. i dont even know the conditions of petland. I HATE PETLAND! this may be the 3rd crab i have lost from thier. but his death maybe the worst. i had the others or at least a month before they died.

6. cococrisp

OK
    I'm a little confused. Just 2 questions Or maybe more but oh well

Crabbyjo, What is PMS

And clover is he dead? Does he smell? Could you take a visit to petland?
    Also where did you get your tank? $70 is way too much 2cd hand. I got my 75 gallon for less than that.

7. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Congrats! I love the name Sebastian. You should ISO your crabs for at least a month and try to mimic the pet stores conditions at first, then slowly bring it up to the conditions in your main tank. If your not sure what the exact conditions of the pet store were, ask your dad what was in the tank and if he thinks it was humid or not and what he thinks the temp was. Were there sponges, and/or water bowls in there? was the tank plastic or glass? What kind of lid did it have? If you think the humidity was too dry, maybe start the iso off at 60%. That's what I did for Lou-Lou. She came from a tiny plastic tank with no fresh/ saltwater bowls, just a sponge.
    I think PMS is pre-molt symptoms. Does Sebastian smell? He could probably be doing a surface molt. This happened with Ocean and Sherbert (at different times though). Before they did it they were very inactive, which was strange especially for Sherbert since she's usually running around like crazy! Sherbert just sat there in the food dish where I put her and shed her exo there, which sounds a lot like what Sebastian is doing. When Ocean molted, she was in a weird position and was very limp, so I thought she passed away. Then, her big claw fell off.
    Congrats on your 29 gallon! $70 is really expensive though. There might be a free one on craigslist.

8. clover

ok PMS is pre menstrual syndrome which has absoloutley nothing to do with hermit crabs it is something women get. :) i think crabbyjo was confused! pps is post puchase syndrome and the tank i am gettin is nic and big so i will buy it it has a glass top with space for a hood and he is not dead he is still in the water though.

9. Laughs O Lot

That sounds like a great tank! Congrats! Is he drinking at all or just sitting there?

10. clover

I am sad to say sabastian has passed today.

11. Laughs O Lot

Are you sure he can't be surface molting or something? I am so sorry clover. Sebastian seemed like such a sweet, quiet, gentle hermit crab. There was nothing you can do, but he was lucky to be with you for the day.

12. clover

what would it be like if he was molting? what would he look like?

13. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

If you're not sure if he's molting or dead, and you don't smell anything bad, then I would put a coconut (hidey) hut over him and wait for another day without disturbing him. Then carefully check on him again, and if he is still alive, then he needs time to destress and get used to his new surroundings without being disturbed.
    Hang in there and keep us posted. :)

14. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I'm so sorry Clover, that Sebastian didn't make it.

When speaking of hermit crabs, PMS is Pre Molt Symptoms.

Clover, ask your dad not to purchase crabs at that pet store again. I would suggest that after you've had your crabs a bit longer and they are doing well, you put out the word that you want to adopt from someone who may want to get rid of their crabs.

It sounds like Sebastian died of PPS. :( Poor guy. At least he didn't pass in an impersonal uncomfortable pet store. You would have given him a wonderful home.
    Now he's with the hermit crab angels, playing with all our hermies who have passed. He's probably crawling along with my Larry and Mario right now! :)

15. cococrisp

As well as Snap and Kiwi.

16. clover

well i suppose this thread cane be deleted.

17. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

It's good to have the threads so others can come read and maybe learn from what we've experienced Clover, even if it did end tragically. Better they learn than experience it themselves, yes? So it's good to have these for information.

I know it's sad to have lost your little crab. Unfortunately, I think most of us have been where you are now, these little guys go through so much it's almost a given that we'll lose a few here and there.

18. Laughs O Lot

And Honey, Sky, Keele, and Keela! Also the crabs I had when I was little Sunshine, Sandy-tan, and Princess. They must be having an awesome time together! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.