1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PP with a claw this color?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Bugaboo, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Well I got the hermie thinking it might be a different species, but once I saw its eyes when I got home, I found it was a pp. Strange color for one tho. Anyone else seen this?
    [img=266x400]http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/Bugabooroo/IMAG1504.jpg[/img]

2. Frostfire

Frostfire "Never Molted"

Looks either freshly molted or severely nutritionally deprived to me:(

3. mom_of_3

mom_of_3 (Micro Crab)

One of my pp's has that same coloring right now. I got him/her(?) on feb 16th and the shell is way to small and did nothing but eat and drink non-stop the first 24 hours that I had it. Now it digs down every day and comes up to destroy my tank by night the little devil  :devil2:...lol. But the energy level of him has come way up with proper food and I figure that when he molts there might (hopefully) be some pretty colors under that deprived exo.

4. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Poor thing, her shell has a hole in it, and I put her up in the shell shop, and for a whole day and night she never changed shells, but she stayed there, didn't even move around really, so I put her in the food dish last night, she started eating, and this morning she was still there, she slept in the food dish. I feel so bad for her. Anyone know some health boosting foods I could feed her?

5. mom_of_3

mom_of_3 (Micro Crab)

Mushed banana, or honey are some of the best ones that I have heard of. It doesn't take very much honey like a milk cap amount would be more than enough. I believe that there are also several things in the addiction store. I think I seen a sick hermie medicinal bath set in there. so that may be another option for you.

6. Frostfire

Frostfire "Never Molted"

I swear by the hermit crab addiction boost powder, it did wonders for Spark when she lost her claw. She went down without eating anything when I got her, came up and than lost her claw. It was pretty much all she ate in the week before she went down molted, and than came back up with a regenerated claw. So really, it was the only thing she needed to (almost) completely grow her claw back in one molt- that has to say something about the quality of it:)

7. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Emergency food for right now would be some natural honey (more expensive but with no additives like is found in the regular honey) and some crushed up calcium.

Put the honey in a small cap such as a screw top from the milk jug, soda bottle, etc.  By doing this you keep the honey contained and not spread all over the place.  It keeps the crab from getting it's shell and body sticky which then makes everything stick to the crab.
    They just need something to dip their claw in.

Same thing with the crushed calcium, I keep mine in a separate, small dish (I use a very small Reptile dish), but you can use anything.  The crushed calcium is very fine and it's difficult for them to actually pick it up with their claw when it's spread about.
    Vicki has it in her store and I also use a Cuttle Bone (in a box) found in the bird section in pet stores and Walmart.  It's $1 or so, but look in the boxes to get the biggest one.
    I then put it in a zip-lock type bag and break it into pieces if I can and then use something heavy to crush it.  A coffee bean grinder works wonderful too.

You may want to consider putting your crab in ISO (isolation).  That way you can monitor it more closely without the other crabs bothering it.  Have the food dishes and the water dishes close to the crab.  Water dishes can also be scaled down to make it easier for the crab.

One more thing...did you do a complete mite bath when you got him?  If not, do one immediately...they can kill a crab and spread to the other crabs.  That's why it's important to Iso a new crab and to give him a good mite bath and let him chill for a few days.  Oftentimes they'll molt while in Iso and  you can tell if he had a successful molt or not, versus in the main tank and not knowing if he made it or not, being a new crab.

They also will bury down, not to molt but to enjoy the substrate and their new surroundings.  It's probably the first time they have had "home" conditions.

Good luck and please keep us up to date... :flower:

8. mom_of_3

mom_of_3 (Micro Crab)

If you have a local feedstore this a good place to check for honey. I recently (as in last week) discovered that there is a local honey farmer that sells there honey at my feed store....go figure. The farmer raises their bees and harvest's their honey and it is "raw" honey that has not been processed other than taking it from the hive and placing it into jars and then placed in a pressure cooker to seal the jar lid. I will be getting a small jar from the next shipment for my crabs.

9. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Well after 2 days in the food dish she wondered off before I could iso her. I'm hoping she got some strength back and went to hopefully molt and get her color back. I always keep cuttlebone and lots of protien in the food dish.