1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possibly new info on mating?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by pineapplemama, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

Will someone please go check the following link and tell me if they actually know what they are talking about? They mention PP/Ecu (Clypeatus & Compressus) mating procedures. And judging by all the info. they gave it really is a procedure...yeesh.

Anywho, I just went to google and typed in coenobita and this was one of the ones that popped up. I read a number of posts that said no one really knows what happens during crabby honeymoons, so if it turns out this guy knows his stuff we could pass it along!

Here's hoping for happy hatchings...

-Crystal

guess it would help if I left the link in here somewhere huh?

http://www.fmrpets.com/promotions.ivnu

okay I finally clicked on "home" and found out that this is the "florida marine research" site. Now I know where the ungodly painted pink pig (with googly eyes and ears) shell I saw at petland came from...UGG! These are the people that are supplying petstores...don't I feel smart. The idiots actually sell wire cages! The largest plastic one is, I think, 3 gallons.

Please forgive me recommending ANYONE visit these people's site...

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I think that most of the biology information is pretty accurate (at least I don't know any of it to be blatantly wrong) though I think that the bit about hermit crabs becoming "more or less lethargic" at temps under 65 understates the point a bit. My experience is that crabs are pretty lethargic at temperatures below the low 70s.

I think at one point a few years ago, FMR was respected in the online hermit crab community. From what I understand, FMR employees used to answer questions at landhermitcrabs.com. I don't know exactly how it came about, but I think someone got to see their facilities for keeping hermit crabs, and found them lacking. When FMR declined to make any changes, popular opinion turned against them. That's the best I can gather, anyhow. It was before my hermit crabbing time began.

3. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

Well, I was just curious. They sounded academic enough. Although the under 65 line is just plain moronic!

I kinda figured that if anyone saw their "holding areas" that they wouldn't be happy. Considering all the wire cages they sell, it's reasonable to assume that they would keep their own in them as well.

I think that the Petland down here buys from them, can't be sure, but I recognize some of the more atrocious shells.

T.T.F.N.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.