1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible molt

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by cococrisp, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I didn't know whether to put this here or in molting but my crab just made a small hole. I have an ISO but there is currently a crab molting in there. It is 12 gallons. Maybe 10. I still saw him through the hole but he was 2 or 3 inches down. Not being buried yet I lifted him out and into the ISO with the other crab that was molting. I don't know if he is preparing for his 2cd molt in the last 6 months or if he just wanted to dig himself a little hole. Should I keep him in the ISO or regular tank?

2. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

i would say keep him in the regular tank if you see him digging everywhere or on the molting crab. that probably means he is bored and digging for no reason.

3. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

Why did you move the crab? I am confused? I probably don't know the whole story though. Are these your new crabs? If he was going to molt, then why not let him stay where he was? Are you trying to ISO all your crabs that molt?

If so, then....Why? Crabs molt fine in the main tank together & unless you see a problem, then I would leave them alone to dig & molt on their own. When they are moved, the temp., hum. & substrate is all different to them. I just want what's best for your crabs:) They really do better when they molt in the tank they are living in. I hope all is well. Please give an update~!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  4. cococrisp

It's no big deal no one needs to reply. I thought I saw sighs of molting because he was digging a little depression in the dirt so I put him in ISO but moved him out when Snap had some trouble but he is fine now and I guess I mistaked possible molt and I hate to bring this to the top of the list because I don't need any help. I did not dig him up or anything thing. I know not to do that to a crab.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

If you didn't want a reply to a thread, then why post?? This is definately confusing. I'd suggest reading threads in all the boards on here, write down information from experienced crabbers so you have it easily accessible.

From your other posts you have new crabs. New crabs need to be ISO'd for atleast a month. They should not be handled. If you are going to ISO every molter you need to get several tanks or be able to section off the ISO tank you have.

By handling new crabs, for any reason, is only going to add to their stress level.

6. cococrisp

I'm all confused. You can delete the post if you want. It was not a new crab... I don't know it would be a lot simpler to just delete the post because I don't even know what i'm talking about.
    Sorry.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.