1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible first molt

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by Ameliasaur, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Ameliasaur

Ameliasaur "Never Molted"

I'm not with my boyfriend tonight (who keeps the hermies) so I interrogated  :hahahaha: him about their recent behavior. He said it seems that they've dug deeper. I suppose that means they're going to molt (as they had only been partially burying themselves the past few days & acting restless).
    I'm super nervous. I'll be so upset if they don't make it.  :crybaby2:

I also had to explain the ins and outs of hermit crab molting to him, he called me a crab nerd.  :dork2:

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Is'nt it exciting!!! You are so worried about them. Long days then long weeks and then a long month or two. Your begining to think that something is wrong and you want to find them and make sure that their ok. Dont!! You can kill them with kindness. The whole process is harder on you then it is on them and there is nothing you can do about it.Think about what you have to look forward to over and over again. Dont end up like this guy!!!

:BangHead:

3. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

yep, don't go looking for them just let them do their thing, they could just be de stressing by bury down, doing some hybernating, or molting. I have had one go molt after having him about 2 weeks and was gone for 2 months. I did go looking for one once cause I didn't know about not looking for them & I got worried over one.. well he surfaced, stressed out, left his shell, and died in a day! that was bad day!

4. Ameliasaur

Eek! I knew looking for them is a no-no, hearing horror stories definitely reinforces that, lol. They were scraping on the bottom of the tank this morning so I'm going to take that as a good sign.

5. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:bed: yep they are digging around to get comfy before they go quiet, then they might resurface on you or they may stay down awhile, a long while! weeks or months! I'm waiting now going on 3 months on 2 of mine! One came for a day or two then he went down under a rock, then the other I thought he was under the cave but I found him under a decoration in the corner by the uth he has been there for now going on 3 months. He still is alive, he had a air pocket still around him so I some slate rock & tee peed it around him & he had some e.e. under him to bury down & out if needed and the next day he had pushe e.e. up through the cracks. * I didn't go looking for him, I went to move the decoration to clean poo cause that's where the other crab loves to hang out alot and I lifted it up and there he was! :oops:

6. Ameliasaur

Haha. Hopefully it didn't spook your crab too much.
    I hope they don't stay down too long, I wanna watch them play. :/
    I suppose this is why most of you have many crabs (other than the fact that you just love them), when you have a couple & they bury down you have no crabbies to enjoy.

7. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

Actually, hermit crabs like to molt near the same time, as I've heard from other people on here. But yeah, it would be wierd if they ALL decided to go down in a cage of 20-30 crabs.