1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pork Chop

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by hermiefun, Apr 4, 2007.

1. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

:vinkko: Hello i wanted to share a few pics with you all. Enjoy.
    This is one of my PP's called george he has only been up from his first molt with us for about 2 week. I put a pork chop in there treat bowl tonight for something different and i ended up having a tug-o-war with george. He wanted to drag it off but i didnt want him to lol.

[img=300x200]http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/3988/1002223bh2.jpg[/img]

[img=300x200]http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7620/1002224bp6.jpg[/img]

[img=300x200]http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/9809/1002226wb4.jpg[/img]

[img=300x200]http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6260/1002225yt0.jpg[/img]

2. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

LOL, that last pic is priceless! He obviously liked it!  :dancebear:

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

hehehehe even this morning I still like the pics!!! George is so cute....

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

That is priceless~! I cant bring myself to put raw meat in the tank  :icon_puke_r:

5. starmaiden

starmaiden "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

That's way too funny! I'm sure George is trying to drag the whole thing into a nearby cocohut so he can have it all to himself!

And congrats on the molt! he looks wonderful! :petals:

6. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

That is adorable!!!  :chuckle: Greedy little guy, huh??

I haven't worked up the courage to put raw meat in my tanks, either.  I keep thinking about maggots....I would just DIE! :confused1:

7. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

We dont get to many flies here so not worried about that. I will probably offer it to them about once a month raw. They love raw beef to.

8. starmaiden

Psst Kathy...you don't leave it in the tanks for that long! :chuckle:

9. starmaiden

One of the treats i sometimes give to my crabs is raw hamburger that has gotten a little overripe.  :tuna: I'll save a pinch of raw hamburger, put it in a plastic baggie, and leave it in the fridge for about 2 weeks or so. Then I put it in the tanks and watch the stampede to the food bowl. The PPs and Straws in particular really seem to love rotten meat.  :icon_puke_r:

10. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Guest

so if i "forgot" :shuffle: about a whole pack 6lbs of hamburger was in my fridge that expired on march 29 (or something like that.), it would be ok to give it to them?  :tuna: :icon_puke_r:

11. vckums

vckums Moderator

LMAO forgot huh...yeah give them some..even freeze some for future use and mark it HERMIT CRABS ONLY

12. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Guest

yeah forgot..... my wallet is very ticked off at me! lol.

thanks vicki. must remember to do that when i get home. *makes note to self - give crabs rotting meat*

13. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Many types of carrion can occasionally be found on the beach, including dead fish, birds, crustaceans and mammals. Hermit crabs find carrion very attractive and devour it with enthusiasm. In an incident recorded several decades ago, one scientist described how a dead donkey provided food for hundreds of crabs for weeks. Even when only an empty dried skin was left, the crabs still found the carcass irresistible. They climbed in and out of the donkey's carcass through the numerous holes. The rattling sound of the crabs scuttling inside the carcass could be heard for a great distance.
                                                                      - Sue Fox, Author
                                                                        Hermit crab's: A complete
                                                                        pet owner's manual

I always feed my crabs raw fish and meat, except for chicken... for obvious reasons.

14. vckums

vckums Moderator

I just had a funny image of the donkey carcass...LOL

15. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

You sick puppy... poor donkey.

BTW, I love that song in your siggy it TOTALLY ROCKS!!!

16. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

yeah Vicki, i hear ya.  i just had visuals of the carcass moving around with the crabs inside of it.

such a coincidence just happened.  i didn't know that Vicki's siggy quote was a song until Crabaddict commented on it.  i'm sitting here w/ one of the kids watching VH1 i guess and that video just came on.  i heard the chorus and my ears perked right up and then realized it was Vicki's quote, lol.  Pinky is who sings this?  she's an interesting character in that video; sexy in a dark kind of way.  what does she have on her teeth, does anyone know?

back to the actual subject here, i'm going to put some raw meat in my tank today i think.  i'm going to try that thing though that Star mentioned about keeping some meat in the fridge for a while and put that in.  this is going to be fun and watching the crabs will be comical.  i'll bet they wake right up and come running out of their hidey spots during the day for this.  thanks for the tips.

17. vckums

vckums Moderator

LOL I've always been weird. I tend to think of the stuff and then say it.  :dontknow: Yeah it's Pinks song. I haven't seen the video, the tv is usually on with cartoons.

18. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Hehe!  I love that song!  I really like this verse: We didn't get all dressed up just for you to see
    So quit spilling your drinks on me yeah!

I so hate it when guys spill their drink on me!

Anyhoo... I ALWAYS forget to use the ground beef and to the trash it always went!  I don't know why, but I always thought it was bad to give raw me  :doh:  Someday I MIGHT learn  :chuckle:

19. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

we gave the crabbies two dishes today.  one had the raw pork in it with some stuff sprinkled on it and the other had pineapple and papya on it.  guess which one the upstairs tank went after not 5 minutes after it was in the tank?  the one with the fruit.  to my knowledge, no one has tried the pork yet but the papya is nearly gone.  go figure.  the downstairs tanks food is so far untouched, these guys are all Es and are very shy.  upstairs i'd say the boldest ones have been the Ruggies and the PPs; the Es scatter like a bomb went off when i walk into the room.

just thought i'd share.  i would have sworn that they would have gone after the raw meat before the fruit.

20. starmaiden

Papaya actually has a lot of good stuff they need in it. My crabs always wolf that down too when I feed it. And pineapple is sweet, always a hit in my tanks too. :)