1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonechickchris@aol.com

bonechickchris@aol.com "Preparing For First Molt"

FOr some reason, I posted this at the lounge by accident. I meant to post it here. So I just cut and paste the original post. Thanks!

Hi guys.

Well, I have just discovered that Snoopy has passed. I am pretty sure he has, although I did put him in ISO just incase for some reason he is not. I read once how someone here thought one of their crabbies died, and threw her out, then, did some reading, went back out to the garbage to find the crabby still alive and ok!
    But I am pretty sure Snoopy has passed.

He was one of my favorites. This is the first crab that has died here other than from PPS. So I am wondering why he did pass.

He was one of the heartiest crabs I had here. A big guy, always seemed healthy and active. He was buried for a week or so, then he came up a couple of days ago and did a few shell changes, eventually going into a shell that was smaller than what he did have. That did confuse me, but did not think much of it.

DO you think the few shell changes were a sign of him being sick? Or because he chose a shell too small for him? I did have plenty to chose from.

Do I have to worry about any of the other crabbies if he was sick>? Like I said, this is my first non PPS death, so I want to make sure I know as much as I can to keep the others healthy.

Thank you!
    Christy

2. sterwick

sterwick Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello Christy. I am sorry for your loss:(. He definately meant much to you. Changing into a smaller shell is a sign of molting- with a smaller shell, your crab will not get clogged up with sand where he tried to burrow. Would you like to find out how he died to prevent the problem in the future? We could help you.

Stevo.

3. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

aw, sorry for your loss =[ it's always hard to lose one, especially a favorite =[ it did sound like he was molting/getting ready to molt. Perhaps he just didn't make it through it =[

4. DecAbbersMama

DecAbbersMama "Preparing For First Molt"

Christy, I am sorry if Snoopy is truly gone. I hope from some reason he is still molting.

5. bonechickchris@aol.com

bonechickchris@aol.com "Preparing For First Molt"

Sorry I have not updated in a few days. I have been busy with the 4 "bambinos" I adopted that Decabbersmama saved from some horrible life and desparately in need of a new home. You don't even want to know what decabbermama told me that these poor guys had to go through!

Anyway, I did not want to let that take away from poor Snoopy, and wanted to make sure I finished talking about him. I think he had a molt that did not go well. Or, like someone said., he was changing shells because he was uncomfortable from something, or not feeling well.
    It was very strange for him to go into such a small shell. I mean it was not small for him, but really small. He was in a 1 1/2" shell, and this was barely 1" inch! I really think he was sick because of him acting so odd.

I think he may have been getting ready for a molt, or, was in the process of one, and came up too early because something was wrong. He was only buried for about a week or so. And for the size he was, he should of been down there way over a month or more.

I just felt bad because he was my first death that was not a PPS. You always think there was something you could have done, even though there really was not. And these guys are treated like kings and queens here, so I don't know what I could have done.

BUt we will all remember him well. It was good timely for the adoption, because it made Snopopy's passing a little easier on my 4 year old son. He loves his hermies. I give no help in the names, he picks the names out all himself!

Thank you for all the kind words. Christy

6. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

congrats on the adoptions =] I'm sure your son will love them to death! it was good timing, expecially for a small one, since excitement can usually easily overcome sadness at that age (how lucky, lol):rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.