1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor Maggie...

Discussion in 'Hermit Crab Obituaries - In Memory Of "Skip".' started by gotcrabs, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotcrabs

gotcrabs Guest

This is the 3RD! crab that has died from that stupid petco! I smelt that "smell" 2-3 days ago and I noticed that my crab has been sitting in that same spot since the smell came. I used my pooper scooper to roll her over to me (I was afraid to get "dead crab" all over me) and she's too limp to be alive. :scream: I hardly got to know her...

2. liagiba

liagiba "First Molt In Progress"

I know this post is old, but I also wanted to share the horrible experience I had at Petco today. I am definitely addicted , and since all my 7 crabs decided to go underground since this morning, after spending all night playing around in the new tank, I decided to go to Petco, since I've read they might have an E or Straw. Well, the first warning: many empty shells. Second warning: no water dish, third warning: humidity gauge at 50%...I called the employee and ask to see a hermie in a painted shell (they were all painted). When he picked it up, I noticed that the BP was dangling...hmm. I told him " I think its dead." He said "no he is not". Next thing you know, he hold it upside down, then facing down and PLOP, out came the poor dead hermit crab. My child, who is 7 and has mild autism, almost had a panic attack, he started screaming that the hernit crab melted. The employee was so embarrased. I was very mad :sad5: I told the employee that I understand that they are all busy, but that they need to have 2 water dishes, one for salt, one for fresh water. And to please, do something for the humidity. I am never going to PetCo again! I can't understand, even if they are in for the profit only, how can they make any money by not taking care of their "stock"?? I then went to another pet shop and got 3 PP, the conditions were not that better, but at least the humidity was 75 and they had a small water dish with a sponge. The substrate at this other store was gravel :BangHead: My 3 new PP are in the ISO, they seem very active, especially since I gave them a salt water bath. They are in painted shells too, but I already gave them some new shells, maybe they will change soon. Just wanted to share this sad story. Don't buy anything at Petco, I wish there was a way to boicot them :bat: My son keeps looking at our hermies and saying over and over that he needs to pray so they don't melt too. :sad5:

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

That's terrible! I feel terrible for that poor crabbie. :( But not all petcos are that cruel. I went to one recently and it had coconut fiber, some climbing/ hiding toys, gauges, and two water bowls. The only bad things I noticed were commercial food and the substrate not being deep enough.

4. liagiba

liagiba "First Molt In Progress"

I agree, not all Petcos are bad, but this one is awful. I have read bad things about Petsmart too, but at least, the one I visit all the time, have everything acceptable to what hermit crabs need and I got 6 of my crabbies from there, and none have died. I sent an email to Customer relations, let's see what they will say, and most important, what they will do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.