1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor, Elmo!!!

Discussion in 'Hermit Crab Obituaries - In Memory Of "Skip".' started by Hermies4Ever, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Today I found Elmo dead on the substrate surface. I think he may have been dehyrdated, because all the water in the water dish had dried up. Also the humidity was only 10 percent, and the humidifier had been unplugged.

Please do not yell at me. I have already gone through enough hardship, but if you have any advice or ideas why he may have died, please tell me.

2. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

i'm so sorry =[ your hermies are falling one after the other... perhaps one was/is sick, and it spread. Maybe get the medicinal bath from vicki's, so any hermies that might have the sickness have some special help.

I don't think the water did it, i mean i have to fill my water many times a day because sand that gets in it dries it up. When i'm at school, they always have to wait for a while. But the humidity might have done it, because without humidity they cannot breathe, because they breathe the water in the air, pretty much.

I'm sorry again for your loss =[ RIP, Elmo!!

3. Hermies4Ever

I believe that the humidity caused Elmo's death. Do you know of a humidifier that can go inside a crabitat?

4. xAizaOnigirix

no, i don't, sorry =[ I just mist mine a couple times a day and pour water on the substrate every few days and have a towel over most of the top of my tank to keep humidity in. you can ask in a thread, though. someone will know!

5. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

no water and nill humidity is the cause, you answered your own question.

I recommend you 1 choose a substrate better at retaining moisture, and two, check your tank more often.

1 day at ill conditions will not kill your crabs. How is your humidity at 10%? Our air around here is naturally at about 50%. The water may have been fine, but with humidity that low, it was the only real help you could have gotten.

If your humidity problem is that bad, you should spray your tank more often, consider eco earth, or do a through rinse of your sand every few weeks to put moisture back in them. I'm sure there can be other solutions. Plants perhaps? Also, do you have a way to close off the top of your tank so the humidity doesn't just instantly escape?

6. Hermies4Ever

I use 3" of EE (Eco Earth). Doesn't EE (Eco Earth) help dehydrate hermit crabs?

I keep my hermit crabs in a sealed room, and mist them occasionally.

7. xAizaOnigirix

humidity as 10% IS strange.... i suggest testing your hygrometer for accuracy, too.

8. strawberryskittle

I think your meter is broken. take it out of the tank and see what it does. It should change. Even better, calibrate it, with the calibrate thread:

http://www.hermitcrabsrus.com/forum...e/3134-how-calibrate-your-humidity-gauge.html

EE should help to keep moisture in, but it has to be moist in the first place for that to happen! If it was moist enough, and the humidity was indeed the problem, Elmo should have dug under to try and get to better conditions.

I think the problem might be different than humidity. Can you let us know what the hygrometer says after you calibrate it, or get a new one?

9. Hermies4Ever

The EE (Eco Earth) currently in my tank is very dry and musty. . . Is this unnormal, would you say???

10. xAizaOnigirix

EE is supposed to be kept moist for humidity and such...

11. Hermies4Ever

I think the reason Elmo died is because my tanks' humidity is only ten percent, the humidifier had been unplugged, the water in the water dish had dried up, and the EE (Eco Earth) was incredibly dry and musty. . .

12. Hermies4Ever

I will fill this form in later. . .

Do you know what species they are?

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs?

Tank Size:

Lid Type:

Placement of tank in your home:

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth):

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy?

Placement of Gauges:

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees %

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it):

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage):

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide?

Is there any metal in your tank?

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank?

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)?

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind?

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use?

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges?

How many extra shells do you have for each crab?

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank?

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in?

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands?

How often do you handle them?

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc?

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank?

What types of foods do you feed?

What do you use as a calcium supplement?

13. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

You live in Maine, which means it is almost impossible for your humidity in your tank to be 10% I am in RI and it is rare that the regular humidity in my house drops below 40% even with the heat on in winter. I think you need a new humidity gauge.
    That being said if you have water dishes that your crabs can submerge themselves in they wouldnt dry out in a day, (This is not yelling at you, you asked for advise)
    So either your bowls are much too shallow or you have not been paying attention to them in some time.
    Also...this is why ISO is SOOOOO important, it seems like since you introduced the 2 new crabs without ISO first they have all been dying. They may very well have introduced a disease or mites into your tank and that may be killing them.

My advise...
    take your crabs out of that tank and put them in a temporary container,
    remove ALL the substrate and bake it at 300 degrees for 30 minutes.
    Scrub your tank out with very hot soapy water, be sure to rinse it VERY well.
    Allow your tank to air dry preferably in direct sunlight.
    you need to boil or bake everything that was in the tank, water and food dishes, wood climbing things ETC.
    once everything is clean fill your kitchen sink with treated warm salt water and stick your EE in there to soak, wring it out with your hands as best you can and place it in your tank. (OR you can throw it all out and do this step with fresh EE)
    Place all your clean stuff back in the tank.
    ****BEFORE YOU PUT YOUR CRABS IN****
    Fill a small bowl (big enough to sumberge your whole crab) With luke warm (Almost cool) Salt water drop your crab in and count to 20 make sure you tip him upside down so the salt water gets all the way back in his shell.
    take him out and drain him then stick him in again for a few seconds. look at the top of the water, if you see super tiny black specks moving...your crabs have mites.
    The dip in salt water MAY get rid of them but you have to do it to all your remaining crabs.
    Oh..and do yourself a favor and go spend the $6 on the digital Thermometer/humidity guage at walmart I posted a picture of it on the calibration thread.
    Good luck Alex! I know you want to do right by your crabs and it seems like alot of work but your crabs will thank you for it! ;)

14. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

That guage has to be wrong. There's no way your tank is at 10% unless you have some really intense lighting going on.

15. sterwick

sterwick Hi, I'm New Here!

I was surprised at 10% humidity, average room humidity is usually around 40%, minimun 30% with lots of Heating or Air Conditioning, your lighting must be extremely intense, as dee said. The dry and musty eco-earth you mentioned is that way because your tank is really dry. Some reccommendations:

• Add sponges to your tank;
    • There is no need for a humidifier- simply mist often;
    • Keep your tank sealed;
    • Pour water over your substrate;
    • put them in a more humid room;
    • Keep them away from heating and Air conditioning;
    • If you have a light bulb to heat your enclosure, use a RAINFOREST heatmat instead;
    • Constantly check on that humidity
    • And make sure your hygrometer works.
    I am genuily sorry for your losses :(, and i am not trying to yell at you.
    And a plant Strawberryskittle will only draw in more moisture.

Stevo.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  16. strawberryskittle

I think I thought of a plant for that reason actually. Also a drooping plant is a very obvious sign something is very wrong. Worse comes to worse they can munch on it too. But its hard to maintain anyway, I think the other suggestion here are much better start.

A deep clean is a very tiring process. When I transported my crab and did a deep clean after the weird bugs started showing up, as requested by my roommate, I bathed my crabs, but I bathed them first and put them in a clean iso, since the deep clean took me like 4 hours to get through every nook and cranny.

17. cloie74

Alex have you done a deep clean yet? Also dont forget to fill out that questionnaire you posted above that will help us help you better

18. Hermies4Ever

What is a "deep clean"??? If you explain the definition of a "deep clean" I would be able to answer your question. . .

19. cloie74

Read my instructions further up in this thread

20. Hermies4Ever

Than yes, I have done a "deep clean". . . Earlier this month, to be exact. . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.