1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poop question

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Heather, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Heather

Heather Guest

Ok this might be gross but here goes!!! When hermit crabs poop, do they generally drop one at a time or do they "save it up" in their shells?  I am asking because generally I see it here and there. Today there is this huge pile of like 15 poops in one spot.I am flabbergasted that is came from one crab. Maybe they all are using the area as a toilet but I suspect it was one letting it all out!  Also does the color change depending on their diet?  Hope I didn't gross anyone out too much, I was just having one of those Hmmm  :dontknow: moments.

2. gotcrabs

gotcrabs Guest

it's okay, i asked the same thing about the color a while ago. i think it changes color depending on what they eat. like after they molt, it turns a different color than the normal brown. i can't remember what it was, but my crab was very healthy and had a funny looking poop. they store it all in their shell and dump it. my crabs think the choya is their toilet. lol.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

OMG I love talking about poop!  :hilarious: I have the best poop pics- but some crabs do just empty their shell and some randomly poop (the tidy ones) I dont know how they keep them in a decent shape with them all mushed up in the shell--we need to install cameras so we can get the real scoop on poop!  :chuckle:

4. gotcrabs

gotcrabs Guest

i love talking about poop too! lol. the camera sounds like a good idea.  :rubhands:

5. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

ROFLMAO @ HERMEZ :hilarious: :sarcastic:

what an ENTHUSIASTIC response.

no problems with that discussion Heather, you'll find that a couple of us weirdos enjoy talking about that subject.  in fact, there is another very recent thread around here where Hermez took a pic of her holding some really big poops and we just had a hayday over that one.

6. Heather

Heather Guest

Ok went and saw the poop pics. Holy crab poop batman!! That was huge!! How big was that crab?

7. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

My straws like to use the salt pool as their toilet. I think the water helps to push it all out of the shell.

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

a large boy~

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

lol weirdos...

10. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Hey HERMEZ i was wondering where you got your degree from? cos its so cool you know so much about that stuff. I was also wondering if you have ever had a hermie with diarrhea?  :sunny:

11. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

my degree is from the school of hard rocks- I mean knocks  :hahahaha: - no dia-rear here- my hermies know better!

12. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Thanks about the info on the degree. I was really scratching my head on where you would get something like that. I didnt know there was such a thing as a poopologist. Well its good to know that you got all the scoop on the poop around here.  :hail:

13. vckums

vckums Moderator

Wow a poopologist! Who knew!  :hermez:

14. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I know it still amazes me too!  :hermez:

15. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

you guys are BAD!  :slapfight: you just want me to use the slap thing dontcha!

16. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Vicki, you're just jealous of us weirdos.

ROFLMAO @ Hermez being a poopologist!  now that's FUNNY.  she's either that or a poop inspector.  either way, they are funny!

17. hermanandhermynie

hermanandhermynie "First Molt In Progress"

I know this is reallly old but I have some poop issues. ITs blue and its like wet. One of them is lik half blue half brown and stuck in the shell. there acting kind of sick too.

18. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

sometimes they can have a wet poop. Blue is usually blueberry or some other food bluey - the sluggishness could be anything really. How long have you had the crab and has it molted yet?

19. hermanandhermynie

hermanandhermynie "First Molt In Progress"

got them both in september no molts yet there acting the same.