1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pomelo anyone?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by sprite hermit, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sprite hermit

sprite hermit Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi guys. i just want to know if pomelo is safe for hermit crabs to eat? i gave them some and they ate it right away. i read in the safe food list that all types of citrus fruits are ok. that being said, pomelo is a citrus fruit so im just wondering if thats ok to give to the crabs.

thanks for the help and tips.:D :D very much appreciated!:D :D

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

im sure its ok its between a orange and a grapefruit? something like that

3. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Pomelo isn't on the safe food list. If you go to Welcome to epicurianhermit.com you'll find a list by Julia Crab of food that is safe for hermit crabs.

4. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Some things are not on the list and need some experimentation. I had asked Vckums about BOK CHOY as it is not on either list.

I gave it to them, they ate and are doing fine!

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

The list hasnt been updated in awhile---do as msdiamond said as Julia used to experiment with her own crabs for research

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

With citrus it's been noted that they like the pith of the fruit much more then the fruit itself.

Ms, good to hear they did ok with that! If you can, send an email to Julia Crab to let her know you did a feeding trial on it. She updates when she can.

7. sprite hermit

ok il try to observe my crabs.:D what usually happens if i give them something that turns out to be bad for them?what are the usual symptoms or signs?is it still possible to save them if ever it happens? i also have watermelon seeds (butong pakwan). you have to crack the seed shell to eat the inner stuff.humans eat it too.:D i wonder if thats ok to give them as well.ask any filipino friends of your im sure they know what it is.its called butong pakwan.:D

8. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

I'm not Filipino or anything, but I have Filipino culture imbedded in me so I think I know what you're talking about. Those are the large seeds that you have to eat like a hamster, right? They're good, but trying to crack the shell perfectly to get the nut thing inside is so unsatisfying when you take into account the work you have to do to get it.
    Anyway, I don't think it's too safe to throw in for your crabs. The ones I get inside little packages are often filled with additives to give the thing flavor. Maybe if you cracked it open yourself and washed the thing inside, it would be safe to eat. Just throwing the whole thing inside seems risky though.

As for symptoms, fishy smell, crab falls out of the shell upon picking it up. In other words, dead crab. They're pretty fragile once they eat something toxic, so it's rare for them to get a second chance like us, humans.

9. sprite hermit

ok i better be careful then. crabs here are hard to find much more rare to even buy them off a local pet store. what i have is already cracked and no preservatives or additives. it all natural.:) but i didnt give it because i want sure. im trying out radish now and lettuce(not iceberg).

10. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena (Micro Crab)

Pomello is fine; I've been feeding it for nearly 3 years. It can be spelled very differently though sometimes Pumello sometimes pomelo, etc. Mine like the white pithy part best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.