1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help!!!

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by reneesz, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reneesz

reneesz Hi, I'm New Here!

Ive had my hermit crabs for almost 3 weeks. First we got 2 from a boardwalk and the following day were so excited we bought 1 more from a pet store. We immediately set up what seem to be optimal living conditions according to information i found online.

Unfortunately 4 days ago the biggest and most lively crab started to act different. I saw him digging at first, never under the sand even though it is plenty deep. I didn't know at the time that it could be a sign of distress or molting and later that day took him out to play, he loves coming out...but he did nothing, he came out and just just sat there doing nothing. After searching the internet and reading about molting i isolated him in a separate tank. i woke up to find him missing a leg and acting rather lifeless. he was still moving about slightly, but just in a circle. That afternoon he came completely out of his shell, i happened to be watching as he did this and pushed the shell to the side a bit because he seemed so weak as he tried (later reading it is not good to help them in any way). That night (3 nights ago) was the last time I saw him move. He is now laying there on his side with no changes, his body color got darker and seemed to deflate a bit. I am afraid he is dead but there is only the faintest smell which has been there since the first day and not worsened at all. What should i do? What does the exoskeleton look like? Do they leave behind their eyes, cause they are still there?

Today the crab i bought along with the lifeless one began digging. I found another suitable isolation tank and isolated him. He began doing the same things, turning in circles, digging down just a bit, and not coiling up back into his shell. Finally he moved but just into the corner...im afraid he is following in the others steps. Could they be sick, or molting? There is nothing more i can add to their habitat. What now??? PLEASE, help...these little guys won my heart already!!!

2. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

They may have been sick when you bought them, it seems that when ever I have bought a sick crab they only last a few weeks. Their living conditions were probobly not good, and adding the stress of moving them to a new home may have been too much. Don't beat yourself up, we all lost lots of crabs at the beginning. Don't give up.

3. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Yes, it sounds like PPS. Those boardwalk stores usually don't take care of their crabs at all. I don't know why you ISOed the 2nd crab. It would be better to leave him in the main tank.

As for your other crab, it doesn't look good. But you did all you could do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.