1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help-crab Attack

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by alli'smommy, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

The crab that has been buried for 3-4 weeks preparing to molt has been attacked! He wasn't all the way to the bottom of the tank, just about half way down. This morning, Taz, my aggressive PP, was sitting on top of Mr. Krabs. When I picked Taz up, one of Mr Krabs' legs came with Taz. Upon further examination, it was a hollow leg. Mr Krabs had molted and Taz had dug him up and was picking at him. Mr. Krabs was not moving and his BP was kinda limp looking. There is no smell yet. I immediately put him in ISO to protect him, with his exo. I put a hut over him and supplied fresh and salt water. What else should I do? I keep reading all these stories that people have had tons of uneventful molts, yet out of my 4, 3 have been traumatic! What am I doing wrong? I have 4 inches of sand for them to bury in. I don't know why he didn't go all the way down. Are molts harder on E's than PP's? Do they require any special care during the molt?

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

First of all you did the right thing and that is all you can do :( he may pull thru.

E's have terrible deformities and are prone to bacterial infections- why I dont know? They are evil and cannabalistic too. I do have some nice E's but not that many. I have a mean ruggie too and a few mean PP's....what can ya do they are like people :rolleyes:

4" sound ok if you have smaller crabs

3. alli'smommy

Okay, I just got home from work and checked on Mr. Krabs. The limp BP is off. It is laying beside the exo. He is not moving or responding at all, but he does not smell either. IF he makes it, and I say if knowing chances are slim, can he live without his BP??

4. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

And his BP isnt hallow?

I didn't know E's were mean!! =((

5. alli'smommy

No, it's all pink and soft. He's still alive. I just walked past the iso tank and he was about half out of the shell and pulled back in when he heard me. Can they live without the BP?? I think Taz pulled it off this morning cause he had Mr Krabs flipped over and was picking at him. I am kicking myself for not putting him in ISO a month ago when I knew he was getting ready to molt. I just thought it would be stressful to move him premolt, now look what happened. :( :(

6. Mallie

If you were doing something wrong, we'd tell you. The fact of the matter is you have had some bad luck.
    Stop punishing yourself. You couldn't help this.

I don't know if crabs can live without their BP. Honestly I have heard that they cannot, or they wont live for very long. But I can't say for 100%. Really, no one can. GL and best wishes!

7. alli'smommy

Thanks for all the help and kind words. I know in my heart I'm doing the right things, but you always go back to the "what ifs". Know what I mean? It's just 2 in a week is really bumming me out. I lost Daisy on Friday from PPS and now this. I know it's all part of having pets, but it is still hard to lose one :(
    I guess I'll just have to wait it out....

8. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

FYI-crabs usually grow legs and pinchers back after the next moult. And the next moult can be soon, since they want all their legs back.

9. alli'smommy

UPDATE: Mr. Krabs made it throught the night! He was moving around in his shell a little. He hasn't started to eat his exo yet, but he is still very pink and very soft looking. But when I walk by I can see his shell fall down where he was up looking and pulled back in! Is this a good sign, or too early to tell??

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I dont quite understand- this is good that he made it thru the night :)

if you mean on the above he is doing the normal crab "oops Im not here you dont see me" then yes that shows he has the energy to be protective :D

11. alli'smommy

yeah, he's doing the "normal oops thing"!! Can he survive without the BP? If he lives, should he remain is ISO until his next molt? I hate for him to be alone, but I don't want him to be a "sitting duck" either!! I am so afraid of doing something wrong!

12. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

absolutely he can do without it until he molts again no need to ISO! He will use his legs and all kinds of body parts to get that food-its amazing to watch- I know I cant get my toe to reach my mouth- not that its a bad idea- I would lose some weight LOL:D

13. alli'smommy

Now there's a diet trick I haven't tried!! :)

Thanks for the encouragement!! He really seems to be fine--except he hasn't started eating the exo yet. Of course, he's probably tired from his molt and ordeal. Maybe he just needs to rest!!

14. alli'smommy

It's been 4 days since he molted and still he hasn't taken one bite of the exo. What's the deal? Also I found that the back leg on the BP side did not develope. There is a tad bit of the old exo leg still stuck and a tiny "spaghetti noodle" looking limp soft leg but it is totally useless. Is this a deformaty that Hermez warned me about and is it okay? Mr Krabs is still coming out of his shell, but he looks weird when he does, like his legs are all curled under and he stands on his "knees" instead of the end of his legs! He doesn't walk, just stands there. Is there anything further I can do to help him along, or just let nature do its thing? I would tend to think if he survived 4 days, he'd make it, but I'm starting to doubt this.

15. Mallie

One of my PPs went through a molt like this. He had exo stuck on his legs and everything. He couldn't move very well at all. I kept his exo right next to him and he did start to eat it. I gave him more calcium and after a few weeks I let him back in his home. But I kept him under the coconut hut and he didn't move much. His legs never seemed to work right. He couldn't move his antenna, one of his eyes was sideways, he couldn't move his BP

Although i thought he was going to survive, he seemed to just give up.

16. alli'smommy

Okay, day 6 and he's still alive. Seems stronger everyday, still not eating exo. The shell he's in is too small. He's been in it for months and wouldn't change. If he makes it, what kinda shell do you recommend? He's an E.

17. Mallie

I any shells with a "D" shape opening is what Es like.

It's good to hear she is still alive. Does she look any better? Is she getting color back at all? My crabbie didn't last 6 days after his molt.

18. alli'smommy

He appears to be hardening. I know you're not supposed to bother them, but when I peek in at him, he comes out of his shell and tries to walk toward me. Without his BP in the way, I can see his 2 "eating hands" moving wildly!! I hand-fed him some veggies and chicken on Saturday, which he seemed to love! He seems fine, except he has trouble balancing-I guess because of not having a BP and only 1 leg on that side!! Why isn't he eating his exo?? Is there anything I can do for him?? He has developed hair and sharp claws within the last 2 days! Is that good???

19. Mallie

Sound like he is getting better. Don't get too excited though, keep providing a quiet home and make sure he isn't getting stressed.

I'd hate to say, "Oh yeah, he will be fine" then have him pass, becuase you just don't know.

He is doing better though, keep up the good work and keep us posted!

20. alli'smommy

Late last night, I walked by Mr Krabs and he was fully out of his shell and moving about. He appears to be hardening and I think he may have started eating his exo! YEA!!! He is not develping a gel limb for his missing BP and leg though. Does this happen now or when he molts again??? I wonder if he couldn't eat his exo 'cause his little pincher wasn't hardened yet?? Anyway, he seems to be doing great, all things considered! I do fear, however, that Taz-the one who attacked Mr. Krabs-has become quite the bully. He hasn't hurt anyone else, but he is also making his presence known by all-by turning them over and climbing on them. One of my other crabs was in a hut and Taz wanted in so he pushed the other one out!! And it is plenty big enough for several crabbies to share!! Will he calm down after establishing himself as KING or is he just mean??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.