1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help! 1st time owner

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by emmygirl12, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmygirl12

emmygirl12 Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay. So I just got Nymphadora and Stella earlier at the pet store.
    Nymph is larger then stella; only by a little though.
    Once I got the tank set up Nymph was crawling everywhere checking it out.
    Stella just dug into the corner and Nymph kept bothering her. So I made a little hut for her and she's not moving. I need to know if she is trying to molt? I mean I JUST got her but these facts are bothering me.

-Nymph keeps trying to dig her up.
    -She's not moving.
    -There's not enough sand for her to normally molt.
    -I don't have an ISO tank..
    - Her shell seems a little small for her

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

it can be anything- she may be dying she may be trying to cope with all the temp changes and humidity. She may just be destressing- what are your tank conditions?? Why dont you have enough sand??
    Read the sticky under General care- I got new crabs now what do I do?

3. trixie554

trixie554 Hi, I'm New Here!

i just got Trixie 3 days ago and he's been sitting all huddled up in the corner every chance he has. they say just let them be for a day or 2 and they'll come out more.

4. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

I got two crabs when I first got them. My big one was extremely active and my small one refused to come out, and my large one would keep stepping over the small one.

about a month later my small one went down for a good long molt. I was very careful to keep from disturbing the little guy too much (tho I think I remember spraying him at a few points -_-), I would just leave them be for now, and give them two hideys, and more sand!

5. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

She's probably either molting or destressing, like HERMEZ said. Try to move Nymph away so she won't bother Stella too much. Maybe section off the corner with something so Nymph won't dig Stella up. Good luck!

This is off topic, but did you name Nymphadora after Nymphadora Tonks?

6. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Crabs can take up to two months to destress and lose the risk of death from post-purchase stress disorder. So do give them more than just a 'day or two' to get acquainted with their new lives. The best thing to do is give them time, lots of good non-commercial food, and quiet.

7. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Poor Stella. . . Poor Hermie. . .

8. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Let her relax and try to keep her in thesame conditions as the pet store and gradually bring them up to about 75* and 75 humidity.

9. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Yeah, what Cococrisp said. . . LOL: I'll go now!!!

10. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Maybe aggresion? Leave them alone till is gets into a fight.

11. manolo578

manolo578 (Micro Crab)

The destressing period sucks because you wanna play with your crabs but you can kill them by doing that. Also, one of my crabs was active when he was in the container bringing him home, but now he just stays behind the moss pit in between the log. Even during night he doesnt come out. The other 2 dont know where he is but he isnt showing signs of molting. He managed to climb down there, but should I remove him and put him somewhere else? He just stays in his shell.

12. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

no leave him be, moving him is only going to cause him more stress, he is just de-stressing, this can take up to a month or more, the best thing to do is offer fresh food and water (Fresh and Salt) and leave them alone.
    What kind of set up do you have?
    What do you use for substrate (Sand EE?) How deep is it?
    How do you heat and what is the humidity reading?
    What do you feed them?

13. manolo578

manolo578 (Micro Crab)

I have 2 half logs, a fake plant sort of like a vine, a plastic container with moss, about 4 inches of sand and humidity is always aorund 80%. Heat is 75%. Do we have to calibrate thermometer? I always have some powdered food and pellets but I am starting to lean away from it. i put in some eggshell but none seemed interested. I am also going to buy some shrimp and krill to put in.

14. cloie74

He may be coming out, they do that alot when they are stressing, they way until absolute quiet and then venture out, they can go right back to the place they were when you last saw them, it is tricky to catch them out but I bet he IS going for food in the middle of the night.
    Put something that smells good in there like Krill or fresh coconut, it might get his attention. The half log hidey thing is bad for them, 99.9% of the time they are made out of pine or cedar both of which are poisonous to crabs. What kind of Moss do you have, some moss is not good for them either.
    No you only have to calibrate the humidity one not temp.

15. manolo578

manolo578 (Micro Crab)

I have flukers moss. Yesterday, the new crab was just sitting in the middle of the tank. Thought he died so I put him under the log where there is a hole. HE isnt dead though.

16. manolo578

manolo578 (Micro Crab)

WHat else am I supposed to use for cover?

17. cloie74

You can get coco huts at petco, also you can use half of a terracotta Pot like for plants. and any hidey that you can put in a fish tank, like the ceramic ones...

18. d.j.

d.j. Hi, I'm New Here!

i bought a half log at petco and they said it was definatly pet safe. it obviously cant be pine or ceder. besides both of those woods have a scent and this log doesnt.

19. cloie74

It does, and it IS
    Petco sells Zoomed Habba huts I contacted the company personally and they told me it was cedar wood. Which is terrible for your crabs.
    All of those logs are either pine or cedar or a mixture of the compressed woods. If you put it in your tank your crabs will die.

20. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

There are varieties of cedar that are low-odor, which basically means that, once the sap dries, we can't smell the 'piney' smell. It is unsafe - I had one that came with two adoptees and all my crabs disappeared when it was introduced into the tank, but they were out and about again once it was removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.