1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plastic tub habitat?

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by dragonsmom, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonsmom

dragonsmom Hi, I'm New Here!

I have been thinking of trying a plastic tub habitat for my crabs, I wanna get bigger and better but I don't want more glass in my sons room. So, I was thinking of getting one of those really big plastic storage bins, drilling holes in the top for ventilation, filling it partly up with sand and using that. Anyone have any pros or cons for this?
    (I'll get one of the clearish ones so there is still a day/night difference in lighting for them)I think it would keep the humidity in great, I wouldn't have to worry about it breaking and it would maybe seem safer to them than being out in the "open" like in a glass tank?
    The only thing I'm not sure of is if a heat lamp will heat it safely and efficiently? I use this for some of my snakes, so it seems like it would be fine for the crabs, too. I am pretty sure I can't use a UTH cause it would be on plastic. Anyone have a better idea for heating? Thanks!

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Plastic is a BIg NO NO
    1. it does not hold heat
    2. the crabs can excape easier by pinching the plastic
    3. they may eat the plastic
    4. they dont hold humitity the same

3. dragonsmom

Umm...actually they hold heat in just fine. I use them for my snakes, as do MOST snake breeders. Granted the heat doesn't stay in quite as well as with glass...but glass really doesn't keep heat in that well either. I'm pretty sure they can't eat the plastic in those hard containers...
    though on another board they brought up a good point that their nails may scratch it and then those scratches would harbor some bacteria.
    I really don't get saying that they don't hold humidity the same...I mean really nothing holds the humidity the same as nature. So that seems like a really wierd thing to say.
    Anyway, I don't know actually how you can say plastic is a big no no, when this is the only post I have been able to find on the subject.:D

4. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

And I know others who've used plastic tats bfore with great success and no escapees, so i think it'd be fine.

5. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

You would be surprised what a crab can pinch off and eat :eek:....To each his own. Our more experienced crab keepers tend to speak from their experience and extensive knowledge or hermit crabs.

6. dragonsmom

:eek:True, I have been suprised a few times as to what they pinch off and eat... and I haven't decided for sure if this is going to be what I do. I just don't think I want all that glass around in my sons room. Especially since the cat likes to sleep on the tat(nice and warm I guess?).

7. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

I'm not trying to sound mean, but I believe that Hermit Paws was new at crabbing when she joined. I joined well before she showed up and (i think this is correct, forgive me if it's not) I believe I've been crabbing for longer. One could hardly call Hermit Paws an experienced crabber. I don't believe that she has ever tried using a plastic habitat for the hermies either. So one could hardly say that she's speaking from expeirience.

I'm not trying to be snotty, but I am defending dragonsmom's right to do what she wants to do. I do know several VERY experienced crabbers who use unconventional crabbing methods and their hermies are surving and thriving. :) Sorry if I got carried away here in my excitement. :eek: We love you, Dragonsmom! Do what you think is best! :D

P.S. Hermitpaws, we love you too as I love all of the crabbers and the crabbies. We need a huggie smilie on this site. IMO this site doesn't have enough smilies and needs some action smilies.

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Alright calm down!

IMHO the plastic is not good as the hermies need UVB/UVA rays etc and that means a tank hood that can house the lights. Maybe a screen top--but then you have the humidity issues. Then even though clear-ish plastic its still not a good way to view them. When I first started I used a tupper tub and it worked for a minute but I was so inexperienced that I did not realize about the lighting etc etc.

Tempered glass tanks can be better and less breakable, Reptile tanks are cool too they have one that stands tall rather than long and has doors....people use that just fine. I can appreciate the concern- but to do it right in the long run is what its about. The hermies are creatures that deserve the best care too.
    Hermit Paws had valid concerns- a UTH I dont think could be a heat source on a plastic tub but I dont know for sure.

9. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

HermitPaws, you are exactly right:).

10. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

oh my gosh who should people believe?

we really should not argue like this on here. this is a place where we can come to help people and get help! not argue. but i have to admitt that when i first came on to this website i thought there would be a little bit of cursing and stuff but i am surprised how people act here. everyone is so friendly! but when we argue the new crabbers dont know who to believe and might do the wrong thing. in my opinion i would not use plastic. but that is what i think.:D

11. NitaRocks!

NitaRocks! (Micro Crab)

12. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

i have seen that before. i dont like it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.