1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plastic shells?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews.' started by NotaMallard, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

I saw these at Meijer's and am wondering what you know about them. I'm obviously not going to give them a try, if the crabs evolved with only real shells to live in I'm not going to switch them to lightweight garish plastic ones. But, what's the story on them? Has anyone tried them? Is there some obvious reason I'm not thinking of as to why they're bad or good?

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

I'd say they weren't breathable. Crabs, under stress and lack of shells, will put on anything.

I've not seen them out here as we don't have a Meijers.

3. heidi

heidi "Never Molted"

i have also seen glass shells i fell so bad for the hermit crabs that have them on i have not seen it in person just in pitchers at the venders location that sells plastic and glass shells i hope to never see it

4. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

Oh my, glass shells! Probably terribly heavy and hard to lug around, not to mention not breathable, as vckums has said.

5. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

I knew crabs would use anything as a shell, if they couldn't find one, but I recently saw a video on "you tube" about it. It was a couple on vac. & they had been walking up & down the beach collecting shells. Then, they saw a land hermit crab walking along - with some type of plastic cap - as his shell! It was so sad, the cap sat way up high on his body, and I can't even imagine how he managed to keep it on & move around. So, since they had a bunch of shells, they reached down & sat 1 shell next to the crab. The crab imeadeatly went to the shell & grabbed it like it was a winning lottery ticket, & jumped in. The couple "kept" the cap/trash the crab had on, & then the video showed them at home, & they had a big clear jar with a bunch of shells from their Vac. & they pointed out the "cap" in the jar along with the shells they kept. I think it was very nice that they gave the poor crab a shell, (thank goodness they did) but I would have left them all. When I go 2 the beach (which is rare anyway) I stick to collecting broken piece's of shells & smooth pebble's. Although, I knew it was true, it was just Really Sad to "see" a crab reduced to having a cap, as his home. - I Hope this story wasn't off topic :eek:

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

No, not at all. And I'm with you---they saw that poor hermit crab without a shell, how many more were without a shell too? You would think they would use their brains and collect shells that aren't being used for a home.
    Geez...:mad:

7. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Not at all, I think crabs are much more comfortable in natural curved shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.