1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

I used the search engine first to make sure that I wasn't making a duplicate thread, and I couldn't find anything, so I'm sorry in advance if this is a previously asked question.

I read an article about people adding pill bugs to the crabitat. I like the idea that they will eat whatever little particles of food that my crabs have left behind.

I wanted to ask if anybody has tried this themselves, and if they have experienced any overwhelming negatives/positives. I've thought about trying it, but I have one major concern: I have a space where my lid does not meet my tank, so there is a 3/4" crack where these little bugs could escape. I don't live alone, and the people that live with me would be mortified if they found pill bugs walking around our house, and they'd probably kick me to the curb.

So, does anybody have any personal experience with adding these to their crabitat?

2. lolagranola

lolagranola Hi, I'm New Here!

I've got them in my tank. They won't leave the tank because they need darkness and humidity to survive so outside the tank would present a hostile environment.

I haven't had any problems with them.

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Do they eat the crabs food in the dish too? I guess what I'm really asking is do the crabs have to compete with the pill bugs?

4. lolagranola

No they don't. I've never seen one in the food dish. I usually see them under the waterdish when I'm changing it.

5. List Of Demands

List Of Demands "First Molt In Progress"

i tried it once, i let my niece dump a whole cup she had of them in the tank she had collected, next thing i knew, the crabs ate them all so i would say, it's really not much help with keeping the tank cleaner, it never hurt the crabs or anything, but from what i've experienced, it's just dinner for the crabs.

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

It surprises me that he crabs would eat live pill bugs, since they are scavengers and not predators. Maybe the bugs died and they ate the carcasses. Any how, I always wondered if they would eat the crab's food, since they are pretty much on the same level in the food chain.
    -Chuck....I would be worried about an escape as well;)

7. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

There really aren't any pill bugs out anymore because it's getting colder here. I've thought about it though, it just seems like it'd be really neat to try. Just scared that if one of my "housemates" saw that I had pill bugs in the tank, they'd freak out and think that we were being infested or something. That's just how they are.

8. List Of Demands

they weren't eating dead ones after they died, i'd just put them in the tank and i watched them catch them and eat them, i've read you can feed them live crickets though, it really doesn't surprise me at all that they would chase down the pill bugs and eat them.

9. lolagranola

I would NOT recommend feeding live crickets to your crabs. Crickets can and will breed in your tank and unlike pill bugs, they won't feel weird about venturing out into your house.

When I think about it i've never seen a crab eat a live insect, cricket or otherwise.

10. List Of Demands

but its the same thing as when you feed them to lizards, your suppose to take out any they don't eat. mine have ate the pill bugs, seen them do it and i know they were alive. maybe they just looked really tastey that day.

11. jendevine

jendevine (Micro Crab)

I have pill bugs in my tank and they do eat from the crabs food bowl. I have really bad insomnia and I like to watch the tank at night and I see them in the bowl all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.