1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pics of the new 75gal Crabitat

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by Jennifer Leatherwood, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer Leatherwood

Jennifer Leatherwood (Micro Crab)

Thanks everyone for answering all of my questions. I wouldn't have such a happy bunch of crabbies if it weren't for all of you!! Here are some pics of my new 75 gal crabitat that you all helped me build.
    Jenn
    Full crabitat
    [​IMG]
    Right side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Second Level
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    left side under shelf
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Middle
    [​IMG]
    Jenn

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

YAY! Your tank looks fabulous! I wish I was a hermit crabs so I could move in LOL. It turned out absolutely wonderful [​IMG]

3. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

WOW! Great set-up... VERY great![​IMG]

4. Jennifer Leatherwood

Thanks Wendy,
    I decided to go with a 50 watt moon glow mounted inside the tank and 2 versa tops on top. I also have a lrg UTH on one side and a 40 watt moon glow that I have yet to mount on the inside but so far temp and Hum is up around 75-80. But I'm debating on returning the versa tops and going with that combo fixture that you recommended. Anyways thanks alot for the info
    Jenn

5. happy_crabbies

happy_crabbies (Micro Crab)

You have a great looking crabitat! What do your crabs think about the 2nd level??? [​IMG]

6. Jennifer Leatherwood

not too many have gone up there yet.

7. happy_crabbies

happy_crabbies (Micro Crab)

Give them time....they will be up there all the time (once they figure out that they can get up there)[​IMG]
    Day or night- I can always find a couple of them on the 2nd level. Some times they just "blend" in with the extra shells. Last night I was cleaning up the mess they made with the shells the night before--and found 2 of them "sleeping" in the middle of the extra shells. [​IMG] they are funny little things~~~

8. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

That's one gorgeous tank! There are some neat decorating ideas in there, too. I like the moss-and-cork second level and the lucky bamboo plant especially.

9. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Just a heads up, lucky bamboo is a toxic plant. It may or may not hurt the crabs, but I thought you should be aware it might be dangerous to yours.

Its' Latin name is Dracaena sanderiana. I know it is very toxic to cats, and cats are not hermits. I can't find any concrete information on whether or not it's toxic to the crabs specifically.

If you've been using it in your tank for a long time, it may not be an issue, though. So I could be wrong. [​IMG] If you have, would you let me know? I like to know what can and can't be given to hermits in the way of live plants.

10. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I had no idea. They were selling it at petco with their selection of Vivarium plants in the reptile section. I asked if the plants were safe for hermit crabs and they told me that they were safe for lizards so "probably". Not that the salespeople always know what they are talking about...
    My crabs climb on it all the time, but I have never seen them nibble. Maybe they know better?

11. Jennifer Leatherwood

Oh no, Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that, maybe I should take it out.. I also have some in my house but surprisingly, it is the only plant in the house that the cats haven't wrecked and I have had them for over 3 years. Maybe the cats just know. Bloodymary, how long have you been using them in your tank?

12. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I'm sorry to be so alarmist, you guys -- we just had a discussion about the whole bamboo thing on Epicurean Hermit and seeing it here really sent up a red flag.

Regular bamboo is safe for the hermits. Most temperate varieties are not toxic. I have a dwarf bamboo in my crabitat that they're eating like it's going out of style.

I believe that the problem with lucky bamboo is that it has high levels of calcium oxalate, which is a crystalline substance almost all plants produce to some degree as a defence against herbivory. But this one has VERY high levels of it. The crabs could very well be adapted to it; it's not outside the realm of possibility. When coconut crabs eat poisonous plants, their meat becomes poisonous too. This is some evidence, if slight, that crabs may be able to tolerate much higher levels of calcium oxalate than other animals.

But I just don't know for certain. And I feel it's better to err on the side of caution. It's up to you guys to make up your own minds on this subject, and that's why I was wondering what the longest timeframe on their being in someone's tank was.

13. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Yep, and I kept getting confused n keeping y'all up, and now everything came to pieses (I don't know how to spell it!) and I kept with y'all at the end LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

BTW, your tank is GORGEOUS. I'm so rude. [​IMG]

15. Jennifer Leatherwood

So is my bamboo lucky bamboo? What is the difference between lucky and regualar bamboo?

16. BL00DYMARY

I've only had them in my tank for about a month.. but I remember reading in here somewhere that they were safe & the crabs were even known to sometimes use the casings for temp cover in place of shells in the wild. I noticed them in the pics of [Wendy's, I think] tank as well, so possibly she would know more about it than I do, I know she's had them in her tank longer than I have. Don't we eat bamboo shoots as well? They are a common ingredient in chinese food, unless I'm wrong.. are we talking about two different plants maybe?

17. BL00DYMARY

Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana)- more commonly called "ribbon plant" This is the image I am finding in searchs for Dracaena sanderiana. It is not the same plant that we have in our tanks.. I also saw "bamboo" in various species listed over and over again as nontoxic. The berries of the Heavenly bamboo Nandina domestica plant are highly toxic.. but it said that this plant is not even a true bamboo species.. it is used in some landscaping as a woody shrub.. not the same plant. From everything I saw the bamboo we have in our tanks is safe.
    edited to add- upon further searches it did appear to be the same plant. It is listed as a toxic to cats, dogs & rabbits. It was not, however listed as toxic to turtles.. I couldn't find any toxic list for Hermit crabs.

18. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

If the bamboo is real bamboo, it is safe.

Lucky bamboo is manipulated into different shapes, let me find the article...

Here's a quote from EH, where the discussion started. It explains why the lucky bamboo comes in different forms: (by Pam L, our toxicology expert)

"Lucky Bamboo...is NOT a type of bamboo.
    It is the common house plant Dieffenbachia ...extremely toxic !

One of it's common names is Mother-in-Law's Plant... which refers to the way this toxin works.
    As much a a few drops can cause mouth, lip, tongue, throat swelling, leading to suffocation.
    If the victim is lucky, only the mouth swells shut, and they can't talk. Thus the common name.

Growing the plant into this newer interesting form is quite ingenious.
    The standard method of reproducing this house plant, is to grow the Mother plants large and quickly. This causes long shoots.
    These shoots are then cut off into sections, which are then rooted, and new plants formed.

So... either by accident or brilliance, they figured out that these same cutting could be laid on a table, kept alive to grow from the stored energy in the cutting, leaves form... which then gives you a means of foliar feeding this "plant" without it needing to be upright and in soil.

Then they started rolling this cutting over just once in awhile... the shoot/ cutting always growing towards the light, then being rooted once in awhile, created the distorted shoot/ stem.

The factories where these Lucky Bamboo are grown are quite amazing.
    Picture large tables...large ! In a climate controlled green house... all the walls are darkened by either black paint or black plastic... there is supplemental light added besides the sun light coming in the roof of the green house, in order to cut time spent between cutting and selling.
    This supplemental light is on tracks which move forward/ back/ right /left....depending on the particular configuration. This saves on electric costs.

The misting/ waters system is computer controlled to provide just enough moisture and liquid fertilizer to maximize growth, yet prevent any fungus / rot.

The table are also mechanized, in that they roll the cutting at exactly the right time to get the shoots turning towards the light... evenly spaced times... so that the "curl" you see of the stem is uniform.

Which explains why these are so expensive per stem. In case you ever wondered."

So, if it's real bamboo, like I said, it's safe.

If it's lucky bamboo, it is not bamboo and it isn't safe.

Why do they call a plant a bamboo when it isn't? Crazy feng shui masters...

19. BL00DYMARY

You are right Kerie, it is the same plant.. I edited my post.
    I'm going to keep mine in the tank, but I will watch it closely. I just have a feeling it is OK for the crabs.

20. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Cool! I believe the crabs know what they can and can't eat, too. But I still gotta give warning so people can decide for themselves.

I'd really love it if you could keep notes, though. The sorts of things I'm interested in knowing are if they eat it or not, rip it up without eating it, if they do eat it, what sort of unusual activity occurs afterwards, if any (for up to a week).

This is all unexplored territory; even the scientists I write to about stuff I'd like to know rarely have a concrete answer. It would be quite valuable if we could determine if crabs were tolerant of high levels of calcium oxalate, or if they'll avoid eating plants with high levels because they "know" they are toxic.

I appreciate very much whatever you're willing to do in the name of my food mania.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.