1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pics of New Tank!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by jeswwjd23, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

it took me longer than expected to set this tank up. i had everything ready then i went on vaca and the wood got moldy so i had to completly redo my tank. (luckly the crabs haven't moved in yet). but i finally finished the tank last night. here are pics:

this is the overview of the tank. it is a 20L with a 10 Gallon on top to add space!
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/SmellyCandles22/tankview.jpg
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/SmellyCandles22/tankview1.jpg

bottom view with 2 waters one is a bubbler pool, a cool homemade Food Station. and some chia sprouts that i'm trying out in the little circular thing in the front.
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/SmellyCandles22/bottom.jpg

moss pit in the front. on the left you can see two big pieces of wood, behind is a cave so the crabs have big place to hide
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/SmellyCandles22/bottom1.jpg

Shell Station!
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/SmellyCandles22/topshell.jpg

Right Side of 10 gallon,complete with a piece of driftwood leaned up agains the glass so there is a hidy spot until the wood and fake plant. also a clay pot in the corner with moss, also the two big piecies of wood act as a bridge for the crabs to go from end to end
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/SmellyCandles22/topright.jpg

Left Side of top tat, with clay pot also with moss and a double jungle star
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/SmellyCandles22/Topleft.jpg

Hope Ya Like it. it will house my micro's- teeny crabs who have been in ISO for one month. they are goin' in tonight after the temps and humidity aare right. i also have a couple of other tanks that need to be redone sometime, i can't wait to do those! so much fun!

2. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

Omgosh I love your tank!You've got everything for your hermies.More than me.Lol.I just know your micro's will just love it!:)

3. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

wow looks even better than before!!!!! *sneaks away from view*jealess*
    (sorry about my bad spelling)

4. Jarrod Walls

Jarrod Walls (Micro Crab)

5. keris hermies

Your hermies should not be put in anything PLASTIC!It's BAD!In plastic tanks they low humidity.They have to have a humidity ranging from atleast 75 through 85.Temperature the same.(75-85)degrees f'

6. Jarrod Walls

.. so what do I do?..

I mean I only have the carrier they gave me which isn't big at all and there's no room for anything in there it's so small.

7. keris hermies

You get $10 go to Walmart buy a 10,gallon tank.& make sure you have the following:food & water dish with sea sponge in water dish.NO COMMERCIAL FOODS!Go to my page Keri's hermies. | and look under food for the complete edible & inedible food list,sand or eco earth for substrate,shells,and hopefully a buddy in the feature.Hermit crabs are very social creatures.

8. Jarrod Walls

I don't know what Wal Mart you live near, but the 5 gallon tanks cost $25. I've not looked at 10 gallons and that doesn't look good.

What do you mean by commercial foods?

9. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Can you look under Craigs List or in the newspapers for someone getting rid of their tank? What you have yours in right now is not optimal.

Do you have things like temperature/humidity gauges, two water pools? One fresh, one salt, etc.? What do you use as substrate?

Commercial foods meaning no crab foods that the pet stores sell. Give them all fresh and organic foods. Things like fruits, vegies, meats, fish, eggs, etc.

Also, do you only have the one crab? They really, really need at least one friend.

10. keris hermies

Umm Idt you know what your talking about.I was just there last night.You must be confusing it with a much larger tank.Because 5,gallon does not cost that much.Maybe $5 but,$25.

11. Jarrod Walls

No I have none of that. What's substrate?

I feed him a piece of apple a day and I take it out when I put in a new piece the next day.

Good way to make someone feel stupid. I know the difference in tanks, okay? I'm a HUUUUUUUUUGE fish fan. I've got two tanks a 2.5 and a 5 gallon and yes the 5 gallon cost me $25. Maybe it was because it was a fancy tank..

I'll get to Wal Mart soon hopefully and I'll check the plain glass tanks. Then I'll let you know if they have a 10 gallon for $10. I brought it up to my father that you said this and he agreed.. they don't have them that cheap. But I'll go check.

Edit:
    Here's the 2.5 gallon I have.
    Mini Bow 2.5-Gallon Aquarium Kit - Wal-Mart
    Price: $23.87

The 5 gallon I have.
    Mini Bow 5-Gallon Aquarium Kit - Wal-Mart

I tried to find a 10 gallon fish tank on the site but I couldnt find anything. Maybe I'm just an idiot at searching. lol.

I realize what you mean.. get a plain 10 gallon glass tank.. not the ones like I have. But I gotta find one and that seems to be trouble.

12. keris hermies

Well good way to make me feel dumb!Lol.Me & my friend Jeremy went to Petco 2,days ago then went to walmart and they had a tank for $9.99 idk what it was but,I belive it was a 10,gallon but,then again I could have made a mistake.

13. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Cool! looks nice.

14. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Hi Jarrod,

Substrate is what you use in the bottom of the tank. Some people use playsand, coconut fibre, etc.

It is REALLY important to get humidity and temperature gauges. Without them you don't know what the temp/humidity is, and they need to be kept stable. You also need two water "pools". One for fresh dechlorinated water and one for salt water (not table salt).

They also need to be eating much more than a piece of apple a day. I am just on my way out, but there is a posting of edible foods. If you print it and keep it near, it helps a lot. Alot of stuff you eat for dinner you can give to your crabs (without the spices!). Things like meat, fish, shrimp, veggies, etc.

15. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

they cost diffrent in diffrent states Keri

16. keris hermies

Well idk that.

17. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Why not look on Ebay for Cheap tanks. A ten gallon at Walmart is like 10.00 Then get playsand and a few other ornaments. They will do fine.

18. Jarrod Walls

I've got to make my way down to Wal Mart (30 minute drive) but since I can't drive yet I've got to wait for my dad to get better and that could take the rest of the week because he's under doctors watch.

19. heather77

heather77 (Micro Crab)

Jesw. your tank is awsome. I love it. You made a mini crab paradise. Jarrod when you are looking for a tank. Look for just the tank not a kit. Tell the empolyees you want just the tank alot of times here the are on a top shelf Kinda out of sight because they are trying to push the more expensive kits. I dont Know if you have a pet smart in or around your area, but the sell the plain 10 gallons for ten also. ( the 5 gallons are the same price) Hope thyat helps.

20. Jarrod Walls

I'm getting around to getting down there. The problem I'm having is that with graduation I've got a LOAD of checks and actually no where to cash them in yet because no one I know has that match money in their bank account. Sad. lol.

I'll be spoiling my little buddies whenever I get this money.. you best believe that. Back when I bought my cockapoo dog for $150 in about an hour drive.. I seen a kit for hermit crabs and some hermit crabs. I've completely forgotten about that store but it's the closest one to me. lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.