1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pics of my new 20,gallon long.

Discussion in 'The HCRU Family Photo Album - Say Cheese.' started by keris hermies, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

My brother bought me this tank for Christmas soooo I guess it's not new,lol. It took me forever to put them up. Here they are enjoy!

The whole tank.
    http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa261/Kerishermies/tank.jpg

Right side.
    http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa261/Kerishermies/rightside.jpg

Middle & little of left.
    http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa261/Kerishermies/middle.jpg

Inside-Right side.
    http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa261/Kerishermies/inside2.jpg

Inside-Middle & left.
    http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa261/Kerishermies/inside.jpg

I'm gonna try to put up a 2,nd level. Any ideas or suggestions let me know please. In my old 20,gallon I had one made out of wood & it didn't hold up!
    It kept falling & stuff. :mad: I'm thinking about the shower caddy idea. Does it hold though? If so then about how much weight? Also do your hermies actually climb around & do stuff in them?

2. wachfuleyez

wachfuleyez "Never Molted"

hi I also have a 20gal.lg I'm too trying to add a second level what shower caddy idea are you talking about? details pls.

3. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

I think it looks great, but if you're open to suggestions, I do have a few...

If I were you, I'd use deeper substrate throughout the tank, not just on the one side. Also, I would make sure that your salt water pool is deep enough for your largest crab to submerge itself. I don't know which one is your salt and which one is your fresh, but it looks as though neither are deep enough to be fully submersible. And is that a temp gauge toward the top? If so, I can't see the numbers, but it looks to read cooler than 70 degrees from what I can tell, so you might want to check on that. :)

4. wachfuleyez

I'm Open To Suggestion Please In Dulge?!

5. keris hermies

My salt water pond is on the far left & believe it or not but,my largest hermie (Spiderman my jumbo straw) can submerge in it. The red dish is fresh. I am getting more sand...SOON!Also I've already bought 6,bags of sand & it sucks basically because,it's like $6.00 a bag & it didn't do much at all. Lol, and the humidity is 78'.
    It would be hotter but,I took the towel off. So more cool air was getting in. I'm going to a UTH when I can get some $money$. Thanks though Chuck. Wachfuleyez if you look at some pics on here of other crabbers 'tats' you may find a shower caddy used to hold moss,shells,&&& other things.

6. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I had a UTH for a little while and it did very little if anything for my temp! I suggest a clamp light. They're a little more money, I think, not sure on that, but they do wonders for the temp!!

7. keris hermies

Ok,thanks. Question though,would you have to hang that over the tank?

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Try playsand and not calcisand. It's $4 for a 50lb bag. I'd add more greenery/vines at the top so they can climb and hide

9. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Is that a jumbo or large straw. in your tank? He's definitely going to need deeper substrste. I also urge you to use playsand it will not clump when it gets oist. The playsand should be moistened to sandcastle consistency.

10. keris hermies

He's a jumbo but,I think he is did now. :( I'm planing on getting more sand.

11. krackersmom2

If he was getting ready to molt, he probably didn't have enough substrate to bury himself. I have a jumbo and I have enough substrate for him to completely bury and then some!
    It would be hard to say if that contributed to his predicament or not....
    I've heard that Straws are super sensitive to temp. and humidity changes, that's why I haven't been brave enough to buy one.

12. krackersmom2

If you use a shower caddy, they are kind of deep. Any type of light weight substrate like moss would work great. They usually have several large suction cups that hold well. You can put a climbing stick or vines as a way for them to access the caddy. It's also a great place to put extra shells.

13. keris hermies

Ok,thank you Krackersmom. You sure it holds up though? (Weight wise) Next time I go to the store I'll try to pick up one.

14. krackersmom2

Mine hasn't fallen with any crabbies in it yet....I think the corner caddies stick best!

15. keris hermies

Alrighty then, thank you very much.

16. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I have two corner shower caddies as well and they have never fallen! Although when I put the shells in them, the crabs don't seem to be able to find them???!!

17. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

I use them to store shells as well, but I trade shell around from the caddy to the floor. I have a net going over to it but I have never seen any sign that the crabs have been up there.

18. wachfuleyez

SORRY! I KNOW THIS IS HI-JACKING. I use to use this blue water jel source. now I ran out I want to use salt water. so my ? is can I mix plain seasalt with spring water?and have parts salt to gal of water?

19. krackersmom2

In my 10 gallon, I have coconut bark up in the caddie and I find my smalls up there all the time. In my bigger tank, I've found two of my five up there....Zeus my jumbo was up there one day and it held up!

20. keris hermies

This dumb but,do they switch shells in the shower caddys when there up high? Well you know what I mean. Lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.