1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pics of Booklice and Mites for Idenitfication

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Mommy2Crabs, Oct 1, 2008.

1. kgbenson

kgbenson (Micro Crab)

Not exactly. While it is true that all ticks are mites, generally speaking they are still referred to as ticks, and not mites. I realize that the folks at "http://www.fotosearch.com" labeled it a mite but this is a tick. Most ticks are much larger than most mites, and generally have a somewhat different life style. Also - adult mites have 8 legs, nymphs have 8, but larvae have 6.

It is hard to ID these guys with such a small photo, but it looks like dermacentor to me.

Is there a reference to Psocids acting as parasites in coenobita? Most references refer to them as non-parasitic, commonly found eating carbohydrates and such, infesting books, grains etc.

I am wondering if perhaps they are eating the crabs food, and not truly parasitizing the crabs. If they are true parasites, I would definitely be interested in a real reference (not just a link to a crab webpage that says it is so). I am not refuting that they are parasites, some members of the group may be but are rare enough not to be mentioned in a general reference, just am looking for the original work that shows this to be the case.

thanks,

Keith