1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pics of Booklice and Mites for Idenitfication

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Mommy2Crabs, Oct 1, 2008.

1. scottjan

scottjan "Never Molted"

HAHAHA, I understand! The other night I was laying in bed with my lap top looking up pics of those little buggers and I had a flying bug land on my head:eek: I flew up out of bed shaking my hair around like I was possessed and making this crazy noise of horror, My poor hubby wakes up from a dead sleep to me jumping arounds screaming somethings in my hair get it out get it out!. . . . . he just sat there looking at me and started laughing

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Ha Ha. The bugs might be taking over the world or something. You should make a movie where those guys evolve to get bigger and BIGGER and BIGGER and BIGGER!!!:eek:

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

AAAH! Now I'm scared! :eek: :D

4. cococrisp

Ok. On with the talk about mites on crabs- not mites on the world that are taking over. Has anyone had mites on their crabs? I've never seen any on mine. Where did you get those pictures, Mommy2crabs?

5. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

That first picture's scary. The crab has a bunch of like blisters and things on it :eek: And it's out of it's shell!

---EDIT---
    Wait that big yellow thing on its back isn't a blister, it's a giant mite!!!!! :eek: At least I think it is...

6. cococrisp

I don't know what it is. Poor little crab...:(

7. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Whoa! I just realized that the crab there's TINY! It's the width of the person's middle finger!

8. Laughs O Lot

That's so sad. :( I hope the crab is doing good now. Wow, that hermie is tiny!

9. cococrisp

He IS tiny I wonder who's he is and how he's doing now as well.:( I can't imagine those on my little crabs.

10. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Hope your happy cause u creep me out!!!
    Once Clowny had several flies in him we had to give him 20000 baths anfd finnaly got the out

11. Cookie1

Cookie1 Hi, I'm New Here!

I know this has been asked to death or mentioned to death lol sorry :/
    I also have a recurring mite/gnat problem. I have done all that is suggested on here, and other sites. Just today did my second sterilization and vinegar cleaning. a few hours later...the white little sand looking crawly things are back (no gnats yet) now, mostly they crawl around my lid (i have a wire lid coevred with saran wrapped cardboard, about 98% covering the lid). They are on the outside of it, on the tank too. inside the first time they used to be in the water dishes. now a days i havent seen them in the water, but like I said on the tank walls (inside and out), and especially the lid.
    Now, do you guys think I should get a different type of lid? In the petstores I have only seen the kind I have.
    Im also wondering if the EcoEarth is making the bugs (I saw that somewhere its possible). I only started having this problem since late May/Early June. never before.

12. Synesthesia

Synesthesia "Never Molted"

I saw one random little small white thing.
    I also have a crab that is STILL MOLTING that hasn't come out yet.

What do I do? I checked August for stuff, but he didn't have anything and he was pushing at my fingers so he could crawl

13. Laughs O Lot

I'm seeing a lot of tiny flying bugs in my tank. And I think I saw one in the dirt. :( But everybody's digging. Once I get my 20gallon set up, I'm going to do a deep clean of my 10gallon. Is there anything I could do besides deep clean?

14. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

Me and my friend were looking at Shelle (SHELLY) for mites and I wasn't sure what they would look like.
    Thanks for the pictures! (though they weren't exactly pretty) : ]

15. manolo578

manolo578 (Micro Crab)

Do we still have to give the crabs a bath because the day I got my crabs, they had just arrived at the petstore.

16. cococrisp

I would. They could have had mites beforehand or picked them up the day they arrived. It's better to be saafe them having to throw out ALL your decorations.

17. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

how do you get them out? Do you have to Clean everything out?What if they get out of the tank???

18. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

you hafta Bake every thing in the oven or boil it in water on the stove
    Wash out the tank with a water vinager mix.

19. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

How do crabs get them... and how do you get rid of them??

20. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Crabs get mites either from other crabs with mites (like how people can get head lice from other kids at school) or they pick them up somewhere in the wild and the mites survive the treatments crabs get prior to the pet store, and then the mites get on the other pet store crabs and so on and so forth.

As for getting rid of mites, bathe the crabs in salt water (it will burst little bugs' bodies) and change everything in your tank. Complete substrate change, boil all shells and boil-safe decorations, rinse wood in salt water and bake it in the oven, etc. Watch your tank carefully for at least a week to ensure you don't see any more, and repeat as necessary.