1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pics of Booklice and Mites for Idenitfication

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Mommy2Crabs, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Above are pics of mites that can be found on crabs. They can be brown, red, white, black and yellow. Below are pics of Booklice.

[​IMG][​IMG]Booklice have 6 legs while mites have 8. Booklice's body are oblong while mites are shorter and wider. Hope maybe this has helped.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Thanks you have completely creeped me out at 7:36 AM!!!!!!!! What awesome photos- I am going to sticky this- great job Mommy!!!

3. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Hey I was the one that weeded through all kinds of bug pics at midnight last night! I had the eebie jeebies. Everytime one of my hairs would brush my cheek, I would almost slap my face freakin out!!! I hate bugs!!!

Thanks Hermez for the thumbs up. Where will the sticky go? Just wanna know so I can help refer people too. :)

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

HaHaHaHa...you're too funny!:p Thanks for the great pics...I'm sure we all wondered what those hateful little buggers look like. How is your tank doing...are you any closer to becoming de-bugged?

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

its right here under General questions etc

6. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Ya no more bugs....for now!:eek: My skin crawls everytime I see movement where there shouldn't be any!

7. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Thanks Hermez. :)

8. supernana

supernana Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks so much for the pics! I think what I had was book lice by the thousands.

9. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Supernana, I've been worried about you. What did you do about those nasty bugs???

10. Mckenny

I think I would have had to dress in a Hazmat suit before I took on THAT task! And then dip myself in a saltwater bath...:D. Poor thing---I hope all your crabs are doing ok.

11. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

I would too mckenny. Or shave my head so I wouldn't get them in my hair. i know that they arn't the same as LICE but still...I can't stand any bugs in my hair. I hate it when I get a June bug stuck in my hair cuz they won't let go and they BUZZZZZZZ in your ear!!! Okay, that's enough I'm creeping myself out again!:eek:

12. supernana

supernana Hi, I'm New Here!

Iv'e been busy,busy, busy as you can imagine:rolleyes: My guys are good hanging out in their ISO. I haven't set up my new tat yet but maybe tonight I wanted to make sure all the bugs are gone. Thats way to much work to debug everything..
    For 2 nights I couldn't sleep thinking things were crawling on me YUCK!:eek:

I treated it as if it was the same as head lice everything gets deep cleaned tank in garbage and new stuff put back in its place. Its just such a bad time for this to happen, we have a party with about 50 people on Sat @ our house so on top of this I've had to run all over every night getting food ordered & picking up supplies plus a workman at the house who always seems to need one more thing from home depot so he can finish the job before the party. And I want my new tat finished before poeple get there. My husband & kids think I'm nuts (I thought I had them fooled:D) I'll let you guys know how things are after the weekend I won't have time to go online.

13. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

Now I know what to look for on my crabs! I have always held them in the light, and studied them good for any creepies! Would I be able 2 see them crawling? And I give a bath when I get a new crab. But, After a bath, would mites be visible in, or floating, in the water? I got another hermie this week, and I am keeping him seperate from my tank, & after 2 days (for him to settle) I gave him a Good bath, and I didn't see anything in the water. I was a little worried about this one, because of the conditions of the tank he came from. There was a poor Huge hermie, pulled from his shell, laying dead in the front of the tank, & several limbs laying about, and I found another smaller dead hermie while I was looking. There could have been more that were under the other crabs. I was really upset about it, & I asked an employee about it, and he said - "yeah they die sometimes" I said, I know but why should the remains be left in the tank? We were there 4 over an hour, and No one came & cleaned the tank. I was surprised, because I had gotten a crab there before, and although the tank was Way over crowded, it was clean then. Hardly any of the crabs would even come out of their shells, I felt so bad about 1 crab that was way 2 large for the shell she was in. I wanted 2 take them all! But I finally decided on one, and after we got home, I put him in a shoebox while I fixed up his Iso. I already had some clean shells, and I put several in with him, and after about 5 Min. wrestling W/ a shell, he Changed right there in the box & kitchen Light, in front of us! It was AMAZING! I picked up his shell, and put my finger inside, and the shell had jagged & rough areas in it. They were probably very uncomfortable on his body! But he is A Happy boy now:) He loves his shell! (Sorry! I always go on & on!) Anyway, Is it 10 days that I should keep him seperate from the other crabs? He doesn't "seem" sick, but I know you can't always be sure. Thank you! & GREAT PICTURES!

14. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

If I remember correctly you need to iso for 3 weeks to a month. Others can answer you better.

15. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

You only need to iso for 2 weeks. But every situation is different. But two is the norm.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad the pics I found could help. :)

16. chinjessie

chinjessie Hi, I'm New Here!

Dear crabmommy, thanks for the pictures. Now im very sure those guys are booklice. I have 3hermie, small, medium and big. Recently i found white booklice crawling at the shell of the biggest hermie which i iso him together with my smallest girl, as the medium hermie just got molted. I bath him with salt water and successfully flashed out booklices, then after 2nights i found somemore booklice crawling this time is less. For the 1st time i changed all new coconut fibre and new gravel and cleaned the tank with vinegar. Yet still booklice found again after 2nights. It really worries me a lot since my smallest hermie is captured together in the iso tank. But luckily i dont notice booklice with the smallest girl since she doesnt wander around foodplate and water plate. Can you advise me how to even clean out the unseen baby booklice or egg from my biggest hermie? Shall i make him out of the shell and quickly boil his shell with salt water? This is frustrating when i cant do anythuing to completely kill all the booklices especially the eggs which naked eyes dont see.
    Yesterday my newly molted medium hermie started walking around with new shell and i cant wait to put back my biggest hermie for reunion. Is it safe to put him back to main tank ? or i have to quarantine him 1 more week until i dont see a single booklice.
    Will booklice threaten my hermies' life? ohh this is so frustrating.

Thank you so much

Attached Files:

17. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

Hello Chinjessie! You have some Very good questions, and I wish I could answer them for you! I think I may have some mites too, and I am freaking out! The only thing I Do know, is that you can't Make a crab come out of his shell. The crab would rather be pulled apart, than forced from his shell, so I wouldn't try that. I really hope other member's can help you with your mites! Please keep me up dated, :eek: and if you have gotten rid of them, then maybe you could give me some help on how you did it? Thanks so much & I hope you got those mites out!

18. Mckenny

Welcome chinjessie :) As Dezzi said DON'T force your crab out of his shell. Pour some of your salt water mixture into a container (deep enough to submerge him) and put him in the salt water and let it get into his shell for a minute or so (he won't drown). Turn him over and let the water drain out of his shell, and do this several times. Lastly put him in declorinated water and do like you did for the salt, only once or twice should be enough.
    You should boil your empty shells in the salt solution you use for your crabs to kill anything that may be in them---let them cool off and then rinse them in decloinated water. Clean EVERYTHING in your tank---carefully boil anything that you can, then let air dry, and/or bake/microwave what you can. Be carefull that you keep a close eye on things when you use the microwave or oven so that they don't catch fire. The heat will kill and cleanse everything. When cleaning your tank, be sure to get in every nook and cranny and all up under the lip of the tank.
    I hope this helps, and hopefully someone else can give you some tips too.
    The very best of luck to you---I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything works out good. :)

19. Mckenny

Oh my gosh Dezzi :eek:...keep us posted!!

20. chinjessie

chinjessie Hi, I'm New Here!

Heeya ;) everyone, nice to meet ya! and thanks for the advices. Alright i bought a bottle of stresscoat and mixed with ocean salt and bath my infested hermie last friday night and 2 booklices flashed out, and provided new thick coconut fibre and cleaned all plates and tank again. This time or for the 1st time after bath, I still have not found any booklices crawling around even tho my biggest hermie has been hidding moistured underground thick coco fibre (suspecting of pre-molt). I hope this time is a successful bath with my newly bought stresscoat + ocean salt. Do you guys have any idea if I should mix stresscoat + filtered water, OR stresscoat + unfiltered water? I have came across with an article saying if you're going to mix stresscoat with water, use the unfiltered instead of filtered since s.coat is going to dechlorinize the water. Bcos if you use filtered water, s.coat will double the dechlorination action and will reduce the nutrien of the filtered water.
    Cheers and hope this help for those whose hermies r infested, too. :)