1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pickering Flea Market

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by DaisyCrab, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

So far I have bought 6 crabs from the kiosk at the Pickering Flea Market (Ontario). The past few it has been from pitty.
    Don't get me wrong, all the crabs I get from there have been healthy to my knowledge, however their not in the best of care there.
    They're in an open bin (quite large) with a bunch of crabs. My guess would be about 50. There is plenty of room in this bin, it's nicely decorated with plenty of little houses for the crabs to hide in.
    However, since it's an open bin, clearly the temperature and humidity aren't near what they should be. I've also never seen any food dishes, and barely any water either.
    The last 3 crabs I've bought from there (Daisy, Casper & Jay-Jay), have changed shells within 24 hours of being in there new home here. Obviously they aren't being provided with new shells at all.
    I began buying them from the flea market because they all have decorated shells, which I think is cute, yet not really necessary. Now I go there on some kind of a rescue mission because I feel sorry for them and I know I can provide them with a proper & spoiled environment.
    Now that I've had many crabs and have learned how awesome they really are, it truly bothers me to see them being kept in places that aren't good for them.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

cute--means its toxic to the crab............you can continue to rescue or give the kiosk a reason to stay in business.............some people have mixed feelings- its very hard to walk away from a crab that needs help. When conditions are very bad I do. Why not share with the Kiosk better ways to keep the crabs? If they have a moist substrate while in the open bin that may help them breathe easier for instance.

3. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Hey DaisyCrab, I too buy my crabs from the Pickering fleamarket. Great to meet a fellow Canadian!

I disagree to a point though ... yes, they are in an open tank, but they are very knowledgable owners. I go there pretty much every single weekend! The "bin" is a HUGE plexiglass enclosure that the guy built and although there are sometimes many crabs (although I don't think I've ever seen 50!), they have PLENTY of room to run and lots of huts to hide in and trees to climb on. They don't usually let people touch them. There is a "pool" in the middle of the tank always filled with water (he uses bottled water) and sponges, food shells in a couple of different places. They get crabs shipped to them (already in painted in shells) but sell natural shells and have also recently been selling crabs in natural shells. I have bought all my crabs there and only one has passed. I have become "friends" with the owners and have linked them to this site also. At least they hand out care sheets and I'm asking them to add this link for help ...

They do mist the tank at certain times of the day, and it is really hot in that flea market. Although I agree that there should be some kind of a lid to keep the humidity up, I don't think it's as bad as you think and I definitely do not feel these crabs are "pity purchases"...I've seen some pretty nasty stores! They also don't leave their crabs there all week. At the end of the night they come home and are part of the family until the next weekend.

4. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

See now, I wasn't sure if they did stay there all week.
    By the way, small world!!! My husband & I usually go there every weekend too (for me it's to check out the crabs, lol).
    We went yesterday and I actually got to see a jumbo crab for the first time. The guy that works there regocnizes me when I go, so I was able to pick up the jumbo. Was he ever heavy. It was really neat to see one for the first time.
    I'm glad to hear that someone else buys them wearing decorated shells also. I got some grief about that on another thread. However I don't ONLY buy them with painted shells. It's becoming hard to even find hermit crabs where I live. I've tried Petsmart, Pet Value & Big Al's and each time their tanks were empty.

5. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Almost all crabs I buy are in painted shells, except this little mom-n-pop pet store where my parents live called The Litter Box!! They have E's in natural shells. I bought 3 this weekend!! 2 teeny ones and a small one.
    Anyway, back on topic!!! After I bring them home and offer natural shells, they always change immediately. I had one stubborn one though that stayed in his Orange Snoopy shell until he molted!!! After they change, I take away the painted shell!!!!

6. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Like Alli'smommy said, most crabs are bought in painted shells but will switch almost immediately when offered natural shells... If you want more crabs, they do sell them in natural shells now too. They sell out fast though.

If you go to the Pickering Mall on Brock Road, they sell crabs, or the petstore in Scarborough Town Centre ... I have actually talked to them about their crab set up and they are doing so much better now!! I will continue to buy mine from the fleamarket though, as long as they stay around....

There is also an exotic pet shop in Oshawa that sells E's and Straws ...

7. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Really??? Where is that store??? Or whats the name??? I've never actually seen a strawberry crab in person. I wouldn't mind getting one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.