1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petsmart

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by jess2mellow1, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jess2mellow1

jess2mellow1 Hi, I'm New Here!

I've been to petsmart 2 times in the last 2 weeks and each time the hermet crabs had no water, sponges were very dry!!! Of course I told the manager and they said they would get right on it. We'll see next time.

2. happy_crabbies

happy_crabbies (Micro Crab)

I hate to say it...but my Petsmart isn't much better.. [​IMG]
    Those poor hermies NEVER have water or crushed fo [​IMG]od. The humidity guage is always in the DESERT area...
    I always tell them- HELLO they need water. The employee usually huffs and puffs to show me how "put Out" they are...but they do it. [​IMG]

3. jess2mellow1

I went to pet smart again, and the crabs did have water, But there was limbs all over the place, and one small one was hanging out of it's shell and missing it's pincher and a few legs very lathargic. poor thing. They also had and EXTRA large hermit. It was huge and it's color was great!!! can some one tell me how big they can get?? and is it good to buy a large one????or are they old?????

4. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Larger ones are indeed older and they probably do have a harder time recovering from the stress of bad conditions, but every individual is different. Since it's believed that hermit crabs are capable of living up to 50 years in the wild, even a large crab could have many years left to live. They'll be happier in a larger tank so that they have room to walk and climb. I've heard that a 40 gallon tank is the minimum size for a true jumbo-sized crab. Remember that they will need substrate twice as deep as they are for molting, plus some room in the tank to climb on top of that! The large guys are often very mellow and gentle, and make great pets if you can provide them with what they need.

5. jess2mellow1

Thanks for the info. I almost bought the large crab but mine are much smaller and only in a 10 gal. tank so it wouldn't be a good home for him . but wouldn't it be bettter them the store??? Once I get settled into my new house I will look at bigger tanks and maybe I'll snap a large one and some others up. I never reliezed that they came from the beach to a store to me, even though I knew the were not bred in captivity I just never made the conection. I am going to try to save some more latwer on.

6. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I have struggled with that question as well -- whether even if I can't offer ideal conditions for a crab, should I get it if it will be better than where it is now. I know that ultimately I can't bring home every crab: I have to draw the line somewhere. So this is what I ask myself:

1. If I cannot provide an ideal environment immediately, will I be able to soon? And will my temporary environment be enough of an improvement to justify denying that crab a chance to go home with someone who has a good environment now? I have five medium to XL Straws (originally seven, sob) divided between two 10 gallon isos. Not ideal for them, but they will be in my 75 gallon tank soon, which will be ideal for them.

2. Will bringing home this crab compromise the care or conditions for my other crabs? This is to remind me not to overcrowd or skip the iso period.

7. hermit_crabs_rule

hermit_crabs_rule "Never Molted"

Last time I was at petsmart:

NO gauges
    NO caresheets.

They always die from there.I'd rather go to petco.

8. BoondockSaint

BoondockSaint Hi, I'm New Here!

I live in Merto alanta area and both petco, and petsmart don't have hermit crabs, I went to a near by pet store. They had 4 in a open tank the poor things were on gravel. They did have a wet sponge. that is all nothing to climb on no hiding place. It was sad [​IMG]

9. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

My 7 year old's lecture to the care taker of the crab display at the mall did some good. Poor things never had food and the sand was bone dry with no water, but last time, they were misting the sand and the crabbies did seem a lot happier. The lady who runs the place is now on a first name basis with us. Some people just don't know how to take care of them. I have spoken to both pet stores here too and they have improved the conditions of their crabitats, although I still don't like the way the jumbos are crammed in a 10 gallon tank at one, still working on it.

10. hermit_crabs_rule

hermit_crabs_rule "Never Molted"

I was in petsmart about 2 days ago or something like that.They have no lids or gauges and the probably use chlorine water(they told me that chlorine water is ok whyen i got my first hermit crab, Hermie)

11. BoondockSaint

BoondockSaint Hi, I'm New Here!

I would like to update on the Petco were I live, the hermies have their our tank a very nice set up. I was very impressed, they had both types of H20, food, stuff to climb on. The tank they are now in was an iguanga(i know i spelt that wrong)tank. I would like to say congrats to that Petco for changing their way [​IMG]

12. ashleigh

ashleigh "First Molt In Progress"

Pet shops should not be able to sell animals it they can't care for them. There should be a person who goes around and check up on pet shops and has the right to stop them selling crabs or other animals if they can't care for them. I hate MOST pet shops. [​IMG]

13. herbielover

herbielover Hi, I'm New Here!

Yeah, I got my first Hermit crab at Petsmart, everything looked like it was suppost to be, they had food, water, heat, and everything else. But the thing is that when I was asking the lady about heat for them, like hot warm, the lady said oh no they don't need heat. They are find without it. Just have food and water and stuff for them to crawl on..

14. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Yeah. They're not even very good with animals that EVERYONE knows how to take care of. Our local privately owned pet store had some puppies in a kennel inside the store that they never cleaned up. The poor little guys were walking around in their own mess.

15. cluelesscrabber

cluelesscrabber (Micro Crab)

sadly, the vast majority of people belive hermies to be throwaway pets ( [​IMG] ) so they don't care as much. as for the pet store where i usually goes to (that actually SELLS crabs) condidtions, arent the best, but mine were healthy and the others didn't look to bad, although a few were dead, perhaps conditions WEREN'T so good... [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.