1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petsmart in Paducah,Kentucky

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by crabbiegal, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabbiegal

crabbiegal Hi, I'm New Here!

Oh, I am just so fired up right now I can hardly stand it. We stopped in Petsmart to check out their hermies and what we found was heart wrenching! First off let me say the place was packed and there was a nice old man working in that department that had his hands full trying to help everyone. When he realized we wanted to look at a few of the crabs he gave me a little container and said to go ahead and look through them and bring any I wanted to buy back up to him. I was shocked because usually they insist on getting all the crabs out for you. Well, when I got close enough to reach in the death smell was sooooo strong and the humidity was at 45 could not tell the temp! There were body parts EVERYWHERE! I started looking at the crabs and found some that had died in their shells and had been there so long they were dried up inside of them. The ones that were alive were not coming out of their shells for any reason. One little one however darn well almost climbed completely out on my hand when I picked it up. It was not trying to defend itself, but rather to my soft heart almost seemed to be like "finally I am going to put on the cutest face I can and get the heck out of here!" Well, how could I resist such a sad little crab? It is now in my iso tank. The poor thing must have been half starved because within ten minutes it was happily munching on Vickie's dandilion delicacies. I had one more I wanted, but didn't think Andrew would let me get two from that tank. It was a larger crab shoved into a small shell. When picked up even his eyes could not fit in the shell since it was so small. It held onto the front of the shell for dear life almost like it was afraid it would fall out if it let go. After complaining about the place for over an hour Andrew said for me to go back and get it and give the manager a piece of my mind. May come home with a much lower iq tomorrow ;). I have printed out caresheets and fired off a nasty letter to the main company already.

2. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

Good idea about reporting them to the owner. The more complaints they get the more it will push them to do something. My sister works at one and is getting a lot changed at the store she works at. She said if they can keep more of them alive at her store, they will send out emails to the rest of the stores and they will all have to change to the same set ups so for now complain complain complain and she'll do everything she can too.

3. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Emma Jean--HOORAY FOR YOUR SISTER!!! We need more folks on the inside on our side!!

Crabbiegal--That is not only horrifying, it's downright disgusting. I thought my Petland ordeal was outragous! My heart breaks to think of how crabs are so misunderstood and abused, not to mention how the other pets in stores are "cared" for. Good for you for bringing to the owner's attention!!

4. crabbiegal

crabbiegal Hi, I'm New Here!

Well, I guess my nasty letter to the main company must have done something. When I got there ( phone ready in hand to take pictures) the same guy was working and said to go ahead and look through the crabs. I opened the top and no smell. I rumaged around and found no dead crabs or pieces. I picked up the crab who was crammed into that horrible small shell ( he had lost 2 legs on the side with his small pincher and a worm fell out in my hand which I immediately showed the guy- long story about that short I ended up getting him anyway and have him isolated- figure at least give him a shot) and two others also half hanging out. When I went to have the guy box them he ask me- Did you find a lot of dead crabs last night?" and i told him yes and how horrified I was. He said his manager came up to him when he got there and said to clean the tank out immediately. I said good it needed it and a few other words. I handed him the stack of hermit care sheets I had taken, and he actually ask me if he could make copies of them. I told him no they were for him. He even went so far as to go in the back and come out with a bowl of mixed veggies and ask if they could eat them. I was like "Oh yes definately!" I mentioned a cuttle bone and again he disappeared and came back with one and ask about how to use it. I did speak with the manager briefly who said they would try to pay more attention to the crabs. I have to say it may be just as bad next time, but today when I left it was at least a lot better for them.

5. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

Thats so great, at least now they will stand half a chance. Great job on being persistent.

6. xbrandix

xbrandix Hi, I'm New Here!

i was completely appalled when i read that, i feel so bad for those hermies sometimes, good job on making better for now.

7. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

Oh my gosh! We have nothing like that in Tasmania - the majority of the stores keep them ok but I do always make minor usggestions when I go in to make it even better for the little darlings :)

8. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Good for you! I guess they realized that people aren't likely to buy crabs if they open the tank and the stench is enough to make you barf.
    Hopefully you'll be able to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't go back to their old ways.

9. rcar77

rcar77 (Micro Crab)

Its funny where i live the petsmart and also petco was the only two places that had a good setup. We just went and bought our first two crabs and we went to many pet shops to see what one had the best setup and petsmart and petco where the pest. the other local pet shops was not even close the them. they would have about 1in of sand if that. they only down fall to petsmart and petco was they had painted shells. but we looked at it this way the will change their shells(which one has already changed his shell)any way. they all looked pretty healthy and thats was what we where looking for. so we pick up two from petsmart and they are doing great.

10. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Good for you Crabbiegal. The Petsmart where I live has a GREAT set up. My only complaint in that their substrate isn't deep enough, I think I'll mention something next time I go. They know me there now, so they let me reach intothe tank myself to pick out the crabs I want. Their temp & humidity is dead on. I'm quite impressed with them.
    However, there are alot of other stores that need to make some serious changes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.