1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pets mart

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by Lightning Yoshi, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frogs_n_Flowers

Frogs_n_Flowers "Preparing For First Molt"

I know I just didn't want to think about that, I can't save them all. I could try but then my husband would leave me for being broke over hermit crabs. Oh well life goes on... for some anyway.

2. Markie

Markie "Never Molted"

Ahh, I used to be pretty happy with my petsmart's conditions, but i recently returned and was extremely upset.

there were limbs all over, and one poor crab was naked and apparently looking for shells when it died. it was laying on a very small painted shell, dead. then i looked around and realized they didn't have any extra shells that weren't tiny. @_@ note that most of my petsmart's crabs are medium-sized.

also, their humidity was at about fourty-five, and who knows whether or not that guage was correct. ughh. ]:

3. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Frogs and Flowers

We've all been where you are. And as angry as any one of us is, we know there is little that can be done, even en masse. But by all means, write to the company.

A few tips are to be polite, tell them what happened and what your concerns are. Finally, tell them that dead and crabs missing limbs can't be sold, which affects their bottom line (especially if they carry any crab or reptile supplies). Executives love bottom lines.

But the best thing you can do is try to get your local pet store better informed on how to treat crabs, and maybe you can give them a few caresheets-someone on this site should know were to find them. But please remember that many stores have rules regarding what kind of treatment is supposed to be given to each type of animal. But that doesn't mean they should be callous or have a bad additude towards any animal in their care.

Good luck!

4. jesse31

jesse31 Hi, I'm New Here!

I went to my petco and it sucked . asked if they where all pp's or what where the crabs guy said ( oh their just the average ones you know) then I found 2 dead ones in the tank and no water at all. when the guy asked another guy that was suppose to water and feed them and told him 2 where dead he said oh really ok like it was no big deal I wrote petco and peta and they sent some one there to inspect the conditions . I need to make another trip to see if things have changed though

5. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

My petsmart surprised me, they had perfect tank conditions. They were using small rounded gravel but I am sure they use that so they don't get molters. They had salt and regular water and the only thing I didn't like was they were using commercial food. I guess they can't use fresh foods in the petstore. I did notice that the people didn't know that much about them though. I was there after visiting the forums I am a member of and I talked to this father and his daughter that were asking an associate questions about food so after the associate left them alone I stepped in and they were happy I told them not to waste their money on commercial foods when they can eat what we eat with out seasonings though. After I turned around they were still looking at commercial foods but I can only tell them these things and it was up to them to follow what I said. The poor crab they had had not had food in a week, I guess not everyone knows that animals and people need food to survive. They were giving him fresh water from a bottle and that was it. I basically told them everything they needed to start out and they seemed interested but couldn't afford any of the other stuff besides the salt.

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Petsmart supposedly feeds their crabs at night and removes the food during the day....not sure why.

7. Frogs_n_Flowers

Well I to visit a friend in Mooresville and so happened there was a petsmart in the area, I wanted to purchase a few more babies, since I had gotten some aquariums. They were in the same condition as the one in Gastonia only this time I didn't see claws and pieces of them lying around. Most of them were dead, so instead of getting all angry I just left. I am taking Hildegards advice and writing them. It is so sad to see. I would like to get the main corporate office address so that I can politely express how I feel and what I have seen at the different locations and see if maybe they will hopefully listen and make the proper adjustments.

8. Crabboy

Crabboy Hi, I'm New Here!

All my hermit crabs are from petsmart.

9. chermo

Mine too, I am happy with the conditions of my petsmart though, they have nice tanks besides the gravel but I suppose they put the gravel so they don't have molters in their tanks. I am not happy with the ones in painted shells either. I also hate they use commercial foods but I guess I can't expect the pet store to have fresh foods daily for them. But humidity and temp are the same as in my tank so atleast that is good at least they understand the humidity and temp are important.

10. Maddy

Maddy "Never Molted"

I wouldn't know, Nemo is from FL and Berry is from NC!:rolleyes: But they are both doing very well so that counts for something right...

11. supernana

supernana Hi, I'm New Here!

I was at my Pet Smart tonight and once again the crabs had no water both dishes dry, gnats in the tank, dead crab up front. They should'nt be allowed to sell crabs or supplies the only (EE) they had is bed a beast which is what they sold me several months ago telling me its "perfect for crabs!". Of course I now know better thanks to everyone here.

12. chermo

I applied at Petsmart today so hopefully I get the job, I applied for the dept for care of animals so I know that will lead to hermies and I can get them all set up in the correct conditions and stuff even though the store I applied for the only 2 things I complain about is the gravel (which I understand since they don't want molters) but I can give about 1" of sand or eco earth instead of the gravel and the commercial foods but I am sure they have to feed them those but I can bring a few grapes from home or something to give them while I work. Hopefully I get it and I can offer to make up the correct care sheets to supply to the store(s) too.

13. Bumble

Bumble (Micro Crab)

My Petco (Birmingham, AL) had a decent set up as well. Only 3 medium size crabs were in there, and the clerk reached in and found them hiding. There were plenty of shells,painted, and two water dishes, although, I didn't notice any food in the dishes. I had no idea they sold them there; I found this out the day after I made an order to Crabbage Patch. :( They also had a Care Sheet for them, and some of the info is contrary to what is posted here. But I give them points for trying and will check back in to see how things are doing.

14. alyssa9801

alyssa9801 Hi, I'm New Here!

I visited PetSmart today to buy some cat food and i always walk around with my daughter to look at all the animals.
    I was pretty impressed with the hermit crab set up, compared to others i have seen. They had sand as the substrate, it wasn't deep enough, only about an inch, but definitely better than gravel. They had wood and plastic plants to climb on and the coconut huts for the crabs to hide in. They had a food dish, however they only had one water dish. the whole thing was actually very nice looking and very clean. I wonder if each store comes up with their own setups or if there is some standard setup that petsmart wants them to follow.

15. HermieLover93

HermieLover93 Hi, I'm New Here!

Has anyone found any E's at petsmarts? I am in a desperate search for them.

16. Frogs_n_Flowers

I haven't seen any at the pet stores around here, I look because I am in search of different ones also. I think most commercial pet stores only carry pp's.:eek:

17. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

My local Petco is actually alright for a chain store. They've got Eco-Earth deep enough to molt, keep the humidity at acceptable levels, and have clean food and water dishes. Of course there's no salt water and the animals have commercial food, but what can you expect from a Petco?
    The Petsmart is another story. Dead hermit crab limbs (or molts) all around the tank, a shallow dish with barely enough water, hardly any food, gnats covering the animals. Bedding hardly an inch deep.

18. chermo

The way I see it now, after reading everyone complaining on here about pet stores and their hermit crabs. We can either complain here about the stores conditions or we can get the word out with the stores by complaining in the stores. Who is with me????? If I see something with any of the animals I complain, that is the only way to get something done. I was going to find a care sheet that was good (if anyone knows where I can get one) and send it to all the stores head quarters with references of where I got my information from. I think complaining to eachother about the stores here does nothing. We need to unite and bombard all the petstore headquarters with the correct information.

19. alyssa9801

alyssa9801 Hi, I'm New Here!

I think that it is a great idea to start becoming more active in trying to get changes made.
    I think we should find a care sheet that we can send to pet stores. One that isn't too long that they will actually look at and can easily copy for their customers.
    We can post the address for the headquarters of the major pet stores and everyone can send a personalized brief letter and a copy of the care sheet. WE don't want our letters to sound mean, just concern for the animals and maybe a compliment about something we do like about the pet store in general.

We can also send letters and caresheets to our local pet stores. We can share what the conditions were before and if any changes were made after our letter was sent.

20. chermo

Petco Headquarters
    Attn Brian Devine CEO
    9125 Rehco Rd.
    San Diego, CA 92121

Petsmart Headquarters
    Attn: Phil Francis CEO
    19601 North 27th Avenue
    Phoenix, AZ 85027

If there is another store you would like to send to let me know and I will find the address and the CEO of the company that we can also send letters to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.