1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

petri again!

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by alliswell777, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alliswell777

alliswell777 (Small Crab)

[img width=400 height=300]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee402/alliswell777/crabitat%20inthmaking/petri016.jpg[/img]

i guess i only thought i had it figured out how to post another foto to the same topic!! hahaha :hahahaha:

heres petri !!!

2. Bumble

Bumble (Micro Crab)

So tiny! I hope she does well!

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

:welcome: So good to have you.
    Please fill out a 'help template" under the crabby 911 topic and post it so we can understand your set up. It helps allot.
    Your petri is so cute! I dont think i've ever seen one that small before!

4. alliswell777

well, petri went under just 2 days after we got her home. carrie is still down, as well. i went to check on petri one evening & she was at the food bowl. as i sat down to watch her, she grabbed a piece of popcorn & took off with it!! :hahahaha:it was so funny! it was as tho she thought someone else might have their eye on that popcorn, & she wasnt about to let it get away from her! she ran with it & got under a bit of cypress bedding. IT WAS HILARIOUS!!! :biglaugh: i had never seen carrie grab food & just run away with it, as tho the cavalry was behind her to steal it!! haha! im concerned about my humidity. i calibrated the hyg with the "salt in the bottle cap" method, & its reading 10* low. right now its reading just under 80*. (temp is 78-80*). ive been misting each day, & i wet my sand a bit more. however, the tank is smelling kinda musty. but theres no mold, & believe me, ive had that!! i guess ill get over to that template like trixie suggested & get that filled out for you guys.

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I'm not sure if I've missed something or not, but...if the gauge is reading 10* low and it's at 80* now, wouldn't that make it 90* humidity in your tank?

If so, that's much too high. Please get back to me on that. :flower:

Also, here is a bit of info on the Cypress Bedding...

Cypress is a conifer. Coniferous wood/needles are toxic to crabs when ingested as Crabs typically graze on their substrates, making cypress a bad choice for their health. Cypress for most mammals and other animals has toxic properties, and depending on the species of Cypress, the most common is arsenic.

6. alliswell777

ok, im in error for sure. when i pulled the hyg out of the bag with the salt- it read 65*. so then, where i got mixed up was to think that in order to get my 72-80* humidity, that meant my gauge needed to read 82-90*. :eek:ops2: geez, how did i get that backward??? :dontknow: and as far as cypess, my first bag of substrate i got was Crab Island Cypress Bed from the pet store. on the bag, it reads that it is "best" for hermit crabs. its the stuff i put into carries "laundry basket" when we first got her. i put the rest of it in her tank when we got it. more recently, i bought Crab Island Jungle Bed, & sprinkled it on top of the cypress bedding. its all mixed together by now. man, ive got this all messed up. ok, carrie is still down (in the bedding), how do i deal with changing that all out? and the sand...can i scoop some wet sand out & pour some dry sand in to help the dampness?

7. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I have had the same problem you have for a year.Every since I got this tank my humidity is hard to get below 85%. I have to open the plexiglass lid half way but I have a screen under that so they wont get out. If you could do something like that It would help.

8. cocothecrab

cocothecrab (Small Crab)

I would get your crabs out of the bad substrate, buy some play sand that you put in play boxes for kids. then put some play sand in the iso tank and get it moist and damp, sand castle consistency, and scoop your molting crabs out carefully. make sure you make a little hole in the sand so you can place them in there. make sure to have food and water too and some hideys in the iso tank. now you have to clean your normal tank out completely and fill it w/ the play sand. get it moist again play sand consistency and put back all your toys and bowls. now try and regulate the humidity and heat.
    hope this helps anyone else have advice?

9. eljhdl

eljhdl "First Molt, A Success"

With your crab down, you will want to disturb the tank as little as possible. Trixie's method is a good option to help with lowering the humidity (opening the lid to allow for some drying time).

I personally would not dig up the crab. In my opinion, its riskier to dig up the molting crab than it is to wait it out with the cypress. Lesser of the 2 evils.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

10. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I wouldn't dig him up either unless is it suggested by vckums or jellybean & the best way to do it, maybe p.m. them so you know they will get the message :straw:. I dug up a crab once cause I didn't if it was dead or alive, and it came up and out of his shell and died with in hours!

11. eljhdl

Cocothecrab's method sounds very good in the case of a emergency just not sure if this warrants taking the chance. It's tricky to uncover a molting crab.

Scoobydoo - that's probably the best advice. See what the admins suggest.

12. alliswell777

ok, i took off the lid (which was an open calender & a baking sheet) for awhile, & the humidity went down to exactly 75*that day. i now have just the baking sheet for a lid. it allows about an inch on each end of it for more air flow. i scooped out a fair amount of wet sand (which i figured was ok since id added more to it about a week or so ago to raise the level of it- remember now, carrie is on the other end of the tank in the bedding part, NOT the sandy side). our weather is changing here now, so i see my temp gauge reading at 70*. my hum is good now, but now im not warm enough. i got the digital hyg/therm last night, only to find it doesnt work... :bat: (back to walmart). just for info, we got carrie in april, & probably the cypress bed too- and in early august we got her tank (& play sand). she molted right before that too. so shes been in that type of bedding for awhile. this poor gal has lived thru so much! :sad5: ok, when she comes back up, should i remove her to fix the tank...or does she need a little while to herself after coming up from...whatever it is she is doing down there... :think: ok, i added Jungle Bedding(smoother texture) to that cypress junk awhile back, and thats what petri is burrowed down in AS WELL!! she has sand in her iso, but shes down in the bedding. i didnt know this junk was bad. the bag says its "the best" for hermies. sheesh. i feel i cant trust any of this store bought stuff!! alright, when my girls come up- how long should i wait til i change this stuff out??? THANKS!!

13. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

When she comes up she will be normal. You can remove her at anytime. I just discourage any sort of playing with them for a few weeks.
    Do not use anything that says for Hermit Crabs. Most of the time it is not good for them. Dont worry. I'm sure shes doing fine.

14. alliswell777

:huggies: ok, thanks!! this is a continuous learning process for me!! so grateful for all the help!!

15. cocothecrab

cocothecrab (Small Crab)

yeah I wasn't sure if this was okay or not so that's why I asked if anyone else had better advice....

16. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

alliswell777, I really think your crab is so cute (as I have already stated)that little guy will molt every month I bet.

17. eljhdl

Its good to toss ideas out there. That's how I learn. :flower:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.