1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pete is gone

Discussion in 'Hermit Crab Obituaries - In Memory Of "Skip".' started by codergirl, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codergirl

codergirl Hi, I'm New Here!

I only had Pete for 3 weeks when I awoke this morning he was gone. :( It doesn't take long to bond with these cute little guys. Good-bye pete I'll miss you.:( :(

2. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

hi coder im sorry for your loss.
    It may have been from PPS that happens to alot of crabs

3. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

I'm sorry about your loss.:(

4. codergirl

Sorry i'm not real familar with the crab terminology what is PPS?

5. Itsy

well when you first get a crab you need to remember he was just picked up off the beach shipped through a warehouse then to the petstore then he ends up in yuor tank right. Well that can stress a crab out alot this is called pps or post purchase stress. So for about 2-4 weeks after you get the crab you should isolate him and not touch him or bother him for any other reason then to feed and water him. This is because he needs to destress usually a crab will dig under the sand to destress. Alot of crabs die because they cannot adjust. So try next time you get a crab try isolating him and leaving him alone for 2 weeks to a month if you notice hes adjusting well and by your own judgement you think that he is ok after about 2 weeks you can put him into your main tank.

6. codergirl

Thanks that makes good sense. I did not isolate him long enough. Thanks again for your input. have a great day!

7. Itsy

no problem and dont forget when you get a new crab you should bath all your crabs that are up so that they smell the same so they have less chance of becoming aggressive with eachother

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.