1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petco!!

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by Jessafall, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessafall

Jessafall "Preparing For First Molt"

I finally found a Petco in my area in Pittsford, NY that is taking good care of the hermies. food is that cruddy stuff but they have food. a huge thing of water shade and climby stuff atleast 2 inches of soil. the temp was a little high but the humidy was perfect! this is the best petco i've seen in the area so far!! most of the petco's just throw stuff in there with the crabs and they never move around! i will be definally buying crabs from this store

2. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

I never bought anything at Petco but just looked around. That was before I was into hermit crabs so I don't know if they have it. The scary place in Petco is the middle where the tarrantula is.

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

That's great! :D Since they care enough about hermit crabs to provide good care, you could probably persuade them to just change a couple of small things, like the food and temperature. Maybe a little more soil, too. :)

4. Jessafall

well my understanding for any pet store that carries crabs, they don't put alot of substrate in so people can see the crabs, otherwise the crabs would bury and not be sold. that's what an employee told me down in VA

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

That's awful! I'm gla:)d you found a great place!

6. crabalicious

crabalicious "Preparing For First Molt"

I went to PetCo today and was surprised at what a nice little display they had for the crabs. It was actually a perfect habitat other than inadequate substrate. But I have to think that was reasonable in a pet shop; if they all buried then you couldn't sell them I guess. They had a decent amount in there so that the crabs could only half bury. Gages, fresh food, water bowls, plants, toys....the works! I can't tell you how shocked I was. Most places they're tossed in a tank with some sand. Last time I checked that was how my local PetSmart is.

They were about half and half painted/natural.

Kudos to PetCo for setting an example. If only they could make it their corporate standard.

7. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Great! I found a critter hut near me and it had great conditions! The substrate was deep and they had gauges and heat lamps and a 3 inch deep water bowl and all natural shells!

8. Jessafall

My mom bribed me into going to Batavia which is 45 mins away from me. to get some salt for a pool and she gave me money for some starbucks. hehe anyhoo, i was driving along and all the sudden i see a new petco, ofcourse i go in there! i was even more happy with there set up than the petco i first posted on here, they had 4 tanks of HC's(small, medium, large and painted)each tank had had stuff to hide and climb on, the EE was slopped so the back of the tanks were atleast 2.5inches deep. they had 2 big dishes full of salt and declor water, they temp and humidity were perfect in all tanks and ofcourse they had the crappy commercial food. also the prices were totally different than the other petco price of 7.99 for each crab.
    the prices in this petco were 3.99-7.99 depending on the size of the crab.

needless to say i'm very happy with this petco and will be getting crabs from there once my iso tank is set up!

9. crabalicious

crabalicious "Preparing For First Molt"

those were the prices at my store too. I went back yesterday and asked if PetCo was getting rid of the reptiles and the said not at all, so I guess it's maybe just that one local store that was going to stop.

Mine even had divided substrate so the crabs could choose, and a variety of fresh foods.

10. fritteritter

fritteritter (Micro Crab)

Petco stores in that area are very good with hermits. The Henrietta, NY store does a very good job and I bought most of my hermit crabs there - generally they are in a huge hex display tank, first thing you see :). The PetSmart in Henrietta, on the other hand, has malnourished crabs and often, one or two are dead.

If you are willing to take a bit of a drive (maybe 30 minutes), there is a store in Batavia, NY which tends to have Ecuadorian crabs as well as huge selection of discounted aquariums.

It was called Pet Mart but is now owned by CountryMax. Call ahead to ensure that they still have hermit crabs, they probably will not know the different species. There is also a CountryMax in Henrietta which sells hermit crabs, though I have not bought any there.

11. Jessafall

thanks fritteritter. it doesn't seem like there are alot of crabbers from western ny on here. my mom knew about the petco but she never told me and she goes through batavia every day she works. haha

i was planning on going to batavia( a 45 min drive for me) on friday to get some tank supplies so i'll definally check out countrymax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.