1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pet Store Problems

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by froggz37, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Hey everyone, I hope your all doing well, sorry for not posting very much lately I've been really busy. I was wondering if anyone knows of a group, foundation, anything that deals with petstores that has conditions that are NOT up to parr. I'm so tired of going into pet stores that have mold, and a film on the water of turtle aquariums, horrid hermie conditions, and alot of other things that just reallly bug me. The one I went into earlier tonite had a dog in a kennel, and the poor thing could hardly turn around, thats all the space it had. The cats had no bed, all their cages had were a litter box, food and water, a few with a ball or some other toy. It just drives me nuts and I know whenever I say anything to any of these small time shop owners it goes in one ear and out the other. There have been a few shops that have almost made me angry to the point of tears and I would greatly appreciate help on someone to contact to get these pets some better conditions. Thanks so much
    Jesse

2. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

Hey Jesse,
    Glad to see you back! It has been hectic here too!
    About the horrid petstore conditions...I know what you mean. Cappa and I have been in many stores where the conditions were poor, but we have also been in some with good conditions. About the poor conditions, especially for local, small PS's there is probably not much you can do except speak with a manager. I do not personally know of any Groups that deal with this kind of stuff, but there are probably some out there on the net...everything is on the net these days.

3. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I call my local animal control office, usually most states/towns/cities have one.
    If not, check for your local S.P.C.A. or local Humane Society, but animal control first.
    I would also report them to the better business bureau, it all adds up, plus you will have accumulated documentaion.
    If all that fails, call you Congrsssmen, or write email and letter.
    forgot to tell you:
    In most states it is a law that an animal must be able to stand fully, turn around and have room to lay and eliminate in his space, without having to lay in his own excrement. They(store/care takers) also must provide nutritional food and fresh water. If an animal is tied, the length of the tie must be three times the lenght of the tied animal, from the top of his nose to the tip of his tail.
    Call your local t.v. stations too.
    It will not go away, will only get worse, these animals have no voice, we must help them!!!
    I thank you for feeling their pain, it makes me so sad that I refuse to go into a "pet store" unless it is involved with local rescue efforts.
    If you get no where with your calls, make up some signs and get some people together and start picketting the front of the store, let the store know you are not going to sit back quielty, while they abuse the animals, and call in your local t.v. cameras!!
    I have spoken to the owner or manager first. I do tell them I am not going away and if the conditons do not improve immediatly, I will follow thrpough. I had a local Wal Mart fish dept closed down for about 2 months, got animal control in there a.s.a.p! It has been since remodeled.
    Just remember to keep documentaion on all your efforts. Doesn't have to be a big journal, just times and dates/copies of who you called, what the conversation entailed.
    These people like to use the plight of animals to make a living, the least they can do is make sure the animals have their basic needs met and are treated kindly while in their care!!!

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

5. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

Pet Shop Laws for Iowa:
    Iowa
    Pet Shop Law:

yes -- IOWA CODE Title V., Subtitle 2, Ch. 162

Definition of animal:

dogs, cats, rabbits, rodents, non-human primates, fish other than live bait, birds, and other vertebrate animals -- IOWA CODE § 162.2

Food:

must provide adequate feed -- IOWA CODE § 162.12 [" 'Adequate feed' means the provision at suitable intervals of not more than twenty-four hours or longer if the dietary requirements of the species so require, of a quantity of wholesome foodstuff suitable for the species and age, sufficient to maintain a reasonable level of nutrition in each animal. The foodstuff shall be served in a clear receptacle, dish or container." -- IOWA CODE § 162.2]

Water:

must provide adequate water -- IOWA CODE § 162.12 [" 'Adequate water' means reasonable access to a supply of clean, fresh, potable water provided in a sanitary manner or provided at suitable intervals for the species and not to exceed twenty-four hours at any interval." -- IOWA CODE § 162.2]

Sanitary conditions:

facilities must be clean -- IOWA CODE § 162.12

Enclosure/Space:

must provide adequate primary enclosures -- IOWA CODE § 162.12 [" 'Primary enclosure' means any structure used to immediately restrict an animal to a limited amount of space, such as a room, pen, cage or compartment." -- IOWA CODE § 162.2]

Temperature/Ventilation:

must exercise adequate housing practices -- IOWA CODE § 162.12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    got this ifo from Wendy's link:
    see full link here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.