1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pet Store Letter

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by vckums, Apr 7, 2006.

1. NewlyCrabby

NewlyCrabby "First Molt, A Success"

I bought 2 Hermys one a bit smaller than a golf ball and one a bit smaller than that,there was another one about the size of the smallest one i bought,they were in a Kritter keeper,they had like maybe 5 cm of sand there were tons of shells but full of sand so no way to change in them,no hiding spot,wet sponges but no water,also there were no gauges,and no light because the room was lite by black lights!It was horrible

2. Sandy C.

Sandy C. Guest

I have a pet store in my general area that REALLY needs a letter sent to them. The area for hermit crabs is HUGE, but there is only a thin layer of colored gravel at the bottom. The tank lid cannot hold humidity (mesh screen). No temperature or humidity gauges. The water bowls all had sponges, but were dry. Not sure what the food was, but it was probably ok (or at least better than the other elements of the tank). I'm positive there was no salt water. There were at least half a dozen dead hermit crabs. All crabs were in painted shells with no options for changing. They had good hiding and climbing places (really a very pretty set-up), but not a very healthy one. This pet store seems to like to do things correctly. I tried talking to one of the staff members, but she just tried to give me a line about how hermit crabs "die so easily." Another staff member promised that she'd pick out the dead ones and fill the bowls, but I couldn't stick around. Please send them a letter when you get the chance!

Polly's Pet Shop
    940 Pat Booker Rd.
    Universal City, TX 78148

If you let me know when you send them a letter, I'll go in a few weeks later and see if there are any changes or if they want any help. They have another shop in a town called New Braunfels, Texas, and their hermit crab set up is much, much, much worse. Same general idea (not enough substrate -- nor the proper type, low humidity, inadequate water, no new shells, and dead hermies). But, it's all in about a 10 gallon tank, so it looks even worse. I just couldn't find their address, but if you address it to the owner, perhaps both stores can improve.

I'll look for the checklists that you have done, and I'll bring some with me when I go back.

They have such a nice area for hermit crabs that it could be just great -- if they only had a clue!

Thanks!
    -Sandy C.

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Ok I printed out the letter. It goes out tomorrow in the mail. Thanks!!

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Sandy I got an email from the pet store. Here's their reply.

Vicki,
    Today I received your letter concerning our hermit
    crabs. After reading your suggestions and looking at
    our display we agree that humidity levels and
    substrate need to be adjusted to better care for the
    animals.

In the next few days we will be changing our substrate
    to a playsand and coconut fiber base. We will be
    adding a layer of plexiglass to the top to help take
    care of the heat\humidity exchange. We use digital
    meters (we do not leave them in the cage all the
    time). Also, we give saltwater bathes to the crabs
    about once a week.

Do you have a dvd or video I can get and play for my
    customers.

Thanks,
    Steve Housley
    Polly's Pet Shop

5. Sandy C.

Sandy C. Guest

Wow!

What a great reply!! Thank you so much for sending them the letter. I know that this particular pet store really does try to have good environments for their critters, but I just knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with the sales people I was talking to. This is SO cool! I will go back to check out their new and improved set up in a couple weeks (want to give them time to impress me). I'd be happy to bring in care sheets for them to give to new hermit crab owners -- please just let me know which sheet you think would be best.

Thank you so much for sending that to them -- the reply they sent to you totally made my day!!

-Sandy C.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

You can print out the caresheet right from the forum. Its on the left hand side of the forum, pdf file I think.

I'm glad the letter helped!

7. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

Vicki, gotta get one of these letters out to Petsmart in Plattsburgh, New York. We got Pirate from there and the conditions were horrible. :thumbdown:

I'm convinced their environment influences their behavior. They were all snappers, including Pirate. But we bought her anyways because we felt sorry for her since she was the smallest of the bunch. We're going there tomorrow to see if things have changed, but I doubt it. I'll let you all in to the additions to our family tomorrow.

8. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

I went back to Petsmart in Plattsburgh, New York. The conditions were still horrible! :no:

1. They had barely any fresh water (maybe 1millimeter of water)
    2. they had no salt water
    3. As for food, all they had were a few little flakes of fish food! they had that last week too!
    4. There were limbs all over the place.
    5. There was 1 log for all of them to hide under
    6. there is nothing for the crabbies to climb :nono:
    7. there is not enough sand for the crabs to dig or for if they want to molt underground
    8. There is not enough empty shells for the crabs to move in to. So there are big crabs in tiny shells, tiny crabs in huge shells.
    This is the best....I picked up a crab to see if she was nice to buy her and I smelled her and she was dead....so I just told the lady that was working there "this crab is dead". without even verifying if she actually was, she just threw her in the garbage. What if I didnt know anything about about crabs and just thought she was dead? That same lady picked up another crab that wasnt very active and wasnt moving. Thinking he was dead, she was about to throw him into the garbage too! I took him and he wasnt dead. He was perfectly fine! he just wasnt moving much and she was about to throw him in the garbage!!!!

Vicki, please send them a letter fast! those poor hermies!!!!! :sad5:

We did manage to save one of their crabs though, Midori. She is much happier now in her new home. She has such a great character so Id like to see her as crab of the month (right after Milton wins this month :))

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

I need their address. Then I can send the letter out.

10. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

PETSMART STORE # 1290
    67 CONSUMER SQUARE
    PLATTSBURGH, NY 12901
    PHONE NUMBER 518-562-8600

My daughter wrote the letter to you before....but geeez....she put it mildly....I felt so sorry for them...our goal is to pick 1 crab everythime we go down...we go once a week.....one that I regret not buying is the one she almost threw out...the girl workng there thought it was dead...but the little guy was so shoved deep into a huge shell(because he had nothing else there to move into)...he looked so scared..and so small....you could barely see him in there. I don't think I'll sleep well tonight knowing we left him there alone.
    oh...and she told us they don't need water...all they need is a wet sponge because that's how they drink???not true.

11. Ang

Ang Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi
    The letter looks great. But most employees pick items off the shelves to put in the tanks. So, it might be easier for them if you recommend a type of sand that is sold at pet stores, instead of play sand that is safe for children.

It's a really good letter, I hope they listen.

12. imported_Melinda

imported_Melinda Hi, I'm New Here!

OMG!!!!! PetsMart in Marysville, Washington and also the one in Everett, Washington on Everett Mall way.

The poor tiny hermit crabs SIT in the water dish as though they're WAITING for water, but the dish is BONE DRY. Last time i bought some Aden picked out a teeny tiny one and it was dead within an hour. :( but i felt like i had to try to save it. it was sad.

But a store that rocks is Pet-Pourri in Everett, Washington on Evergreen Way. Janet is the owner. I bought my 2 Ecci's there.

13. springfairy556

springfairy556 Hi, I'm New Here!

The shop I went into the other day had no shells in it for the crabs, no food and no water, 20 broken off big pinchers and 10 dead crabs. I walked out of there. There were some alive and I feel bad for not saving them from there, but from the condition they were living in, I think it may have been too late.

I pointed it out to the worker and all she said was "Okay, so would you like to get one that's alive?"

14. Lynne

Lynne Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks for a great post!

15. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

There are two on Aurora street WA. The petsmart has awful conditions with gravel no humidity etc. The petco rocks :rockon:. It has 4 inches of substrate and some moss, 3-4 crabs in a 30-40 gallon tank, Salt and fresh water, humidity and temp gauges that read correct conditions. etc. :yes2: :spunky:
    Random Cow, mouse and troll thingy: :vinkko: :troll: :kellie: and monkey: :shmama:
    OK :zipit:

16. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I was planning on getting their care sheet and seeing what they had to say when they don't have any of it. Not in a mean way but yeah... The only problem with the good pet store was that they had painted shells.

17. wadester

wadester "First Molt In Progress"

Hi Vicki,
    As stated in my first post in the new crabs section, I also got my crab from the beach in South Carolina, and similar conditions that are stated above. the store we bought our first crab from had it in a wooden box with chicken wire for them to climb. no water dish just a sponge and no substrate at all. From what i remember alot of these stores were set up very similarly. And of course they were almost always in painted shells.they sell small wired containers for you to take them home and say the are great for the crabs to live in. I fell for it and got my Little girl one.Turns out i feel we are trying to rescue it from sure death. Only had him for 2 weeks now. So we will see. Anyway, Tons of shops and stores at Myrtle Beach are selling them in this way. Now that i know i promise they wont get another penny from me!

18. starla

starla Hi, I'm New Here!

I rescued 2 from HH South Carolina. their living conditions were awful and the store workers tried to argue with me about tap water. It was truly sad after doing all the research in the past month since I got my first crab..Wrie cage with just a sponge..that was it..they were clinging to the metal mesh,just begging for someone to take them home.

Most of the people i saw taking them home were taking them in critter carriers and were told fish gravel was just fine. I told them otherwise and got the store ppl quite irate with me. I don't care. It was sad. Most were buying for childs pets that are more than likely going to die before they ever had a chance.

19. bacarter2009

bacarter2009 Hi, I'm New Here!

I just joined your site today and was doing a little looking around and came across this letter. It it great. My little crab friends here all came from places that could use this letter. Cartmen and Seymore came from one of those beach front stores with no water sand etc. and William came from a petstore just a few days ago. Of all 3 of my guys here William was living in the worst place.The had them in a aquarium with no sand no places to hide under and no food to be seen. They did have water and a sponge but the heat lamp was right above them. Poor Willilam was WAY too big for the shell he was in and they had no shells for him to move to. He wouldnt come out of his shell at at the store but as soon as we got him in the car out he came. We got him home in hos isolation tank with sand and substrate his own little pool and saltwater fresh food etc. He within a few hours changed shells, pigged out, and now he is a different guy from who he was a few days ago. Already he is completely happy to just sit on my lap and have me pet him. Long story short ( I tend to ramble when it comes to my guys) this store really needs a letter sent. If I send you the address would you be willing to send it? There were several more crabs there but unfortunately I could not rescue them all.
    Thanks