1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pet Store Letter

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by vckums, Apr 7, 2006.

1. vckums

vckums Moderator

Here is the generic version of the pet store letter I am writing. This one went to a store Shadow informed me about. If you know of a store that needs to be written to,please let me know. I am also working on am acknowledgment letter for good pet stores. Again I'd like to know what stores are keeping excellent conditions.

Hello,

My name is Vicki O’Donnell and I am the founder of The Hermit Crab Addiction. It is an online forum for land hermit crab enthusiasts. Our site is dedicated to improving pet store conditions for land hermit crabs. We offer up to date care sheets and store checklists. Our goal is to have pet stores who sell land hermit crabs, care for them properly and to pass on this knowledge to the customers. Our members are the most dedicated land hermit crab enthusiasts around.

It was brought to our attention when a member visited your establishment that you are not keeping the land hermit crabs in a healthy environment. There was no substrate for them. There was no top to the enclosure to hold in temperature and humidity which they require. There was no salt water or de-chlorinated tap water and there was no food. What was appalling was there was Styrofoam packing peanuts inside their enclosure and when asked why, it was stated “for the crabs to munch on”. Hermit crabs are scavengers, but they cannot eat Styrofoam and live. There was a heat lamp right over the tank and the land hermit crabs had no safe/cool places to hide.

Here’s what we would like to see changed so that these land hermit crabs have a better chance at surviving.
    1. Provide a hermit crab safe substrate(play sand that is safe for children, coconut fiber, or crushed coral)
    2. A top for the enclosure to maintain the proper temperature and humidity.
    3. Salt water(no table salt) and de-chlorinated tap water
    4. Offer a cool and warm side to the tank. Provide hiding areas and vegetation(can be fake).
    5. Provide land hermit crab safe food. Preferably organic, if not Gardners brand is a safe choice.
    6. Temperature and Humidity gauges. They MUST be in the proper range for land hermit crabs.

Please understand that we wish to improve the care of land hermit crabs inside your store so that they have a greater chance of surviving once they are purchased as pets. By providing the correct environment you are setting an example to the customer of what they need to purchase if they would like to have a land hermit crab as a pet. Once you provide the necessary environment your chances of having someone being back a land hermit crab that died goes down. No one wants to purchase a pet only to have it die a few days later.

Please visit our site, email if you have any questions and feel free to hand out the care sheets to customers who purchase your land hermit crabs. I am enclosing the care sheet, store checklist and business card. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
    Vicki O’Donnell
    The Hermit Crab Addiction

It will be printed on the addiction letterhead. Any ideas? Suggestions?

2. Lisa

Lisa Guest

It looks great, I only picked up one thing and it's a tiny typo - being (that I changed red) should be bringing.

3. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Lol Lisa, I was just reading, hit the reply button only to see in red letters at the top, "Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post." That indeed is what I was going to comment on.

I did think of one other thing, however, and that is in #6 you say the temps MUST be in proper range for land hermit crabs. Should you list what the temp and humidity ranges should be?

That looks really good Vicki. Do you have stuff onhand to customize the letter to a particular situation or will you send it out the same to every store?

4. Lisa

Lisa Guest

Good catch Chris - I totally missed that. Definitely should list the ranges for temp and humidity.

5. Sialea

Sialea Guest

You could add a part about having properly trained employees that can answer all questions any customer will have and be able to properly show that customer what is needed to properly care for a land hermit crab.
    The more informed the employees are, the more likely customers will return to make future purchases.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

Yeah I have it so that I can add whatever someone says is wrong, change the date etc...

thanks for the error!

7. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

the letter is great---not effending at all! :hello2:
    you have mager talent! :icon_thumleft:

8. Ms Lala

Ms Lala Guest

Hi Vicki. I'm very new at the whole hermit crab thing but have all ready run into a pet store that could use a letter about caring for crabs correctly.
    Here's the address.
    Pet Supermarket
    2861 Northtowne Lane
    Reno, NV 89512
    I went in to buy shells and was very unhappy about their set up. :scream:
    all the the crabs were in painted shell.
    They were in an open top aquarium.
    there was only about 1" of sand in the tank.
    there really wasn't anything to climb on or hide under.
    there was no temperature or humidity gage.
    all of the sponges in the tank were dry. there was very little water in the dish.
    This is the middle of the desert so you can guess how dry it is. Our average humidity is in the teens :steamed:
    none of the crabs were moving around at all.
    it was really sad. :tear:
    I hope that they'll respond to a letter and fix it. I've only had my little guys for 3 days and already enjoy them.
    Thanks

9. Ms Lala

Ms Lala Guest

Oh Yah, there also wasn't much food in the tank and no fresh food.
    and it smelled like someone (or more) had died. :po:

10. vckums

vckums Moderator

Thanks, I will get a letter sent to them

11. crabcrazy

crabcrazy Guest

Vicki
    I live in NC about a 1/2 hour away from the beach. At the beach there are a bunch or pet stores that all had the same hermit crab setup.
    NO food NO extra shells NO hiding spots
    They are in a big, top, bottom, sides, round, wire cage. They are packed in there like sardines. They also allow jumbos to be sold in tiny kritter keepers. The care people Know absolutley nothing about hermies and how much care they require. They do have fresh water in there but the bowls are to high for the small ones to get to. It is REALLY sad :tear: There are so many places and I don't know the addresses
    So should I do something or just go and try to find the adresses so you can send them letters? :help:

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

Here's what I suggest you try first, and this is for everyone. Print out the caresheet from here(link to it is on the right) and go in, be friendly, and ask to speak to the depart manager or store owner. Introduce yourself, tell them you are a member of a hermit crab site and you noticed they sell hermit crabs. Tell them you'd like to see them sell healthy hermit crabs and you have some information that would help them achieve this. Then hand them the caresheet, hopefully they will be interested and ask you some questions. Then, depending on if you want to, offer to help them set up the tank. (I did, and they let me give pointers) Do a follow up a week or two later, see if there's any improvement. If there's not then get the address, names, numbers etc and I will definately get a letter sent out to them.

13. crabcrazy

crabcrazy Guest

Thanks Vicki
    I just printed out the care sheet and I will get over there as soon as I can
    :thanks:

14. vckums

vckums Moderator

No problem, keep me posted!! :giverose:

15. Looks great, I really hope it works! You should make a version we can all print out, or change a lil and then print, and we can send it to local stores that we see similar problems in. Maybe if we all can help, we can help improve the lives of crabbies all over! :)

16. I am new to this forum and have been reviewing some of the older posts. Has anyone had any luck with taking care sheets into various pet stores or responses from letters sent? I think this is a wonderful idea- just curious if it has been successful. It is so hard to see them in such poor conditions. I was one of those who didn't know a thing and got sucked into "the worlds easiest pet" line. I, (fortunately for my crabs!) however took the time to get online and research them, albeit after I bought them. The now reside in a 30g aquarium w/ 3/4 coconut fiber bedding and 1/4 play sand. I must admit, if I had done this research ahead of time, I don't know if I would have bought them. The are NOT the easiest pet to have- LOL definitely take a lot more set up and care than most people are led to believe. However, I am NOT regretting my decision- and things always happen for a reason. I just wish I could save more. Hopefully I will be able to eventually. Good job everyone for trying to better the lives of these cute little creatures.

17. Nate

Nate "First Molt, A Success"

Hey Vicky have you sent this letter out to the bigger chain stores like Pet co or PETSmart? All 3 of my crabs are from the local pet co and there small crab tank is almost as sad as they come. Last time I went in to look at the crabs it was really bad. The sand was in good order, but there were no hiding spots, or anything for them to climb on. The sales clerk let me dig through the sand and after a few swipes through I got the smell....... I found 3 hermits that had passed and from what I have heard it is not uncommon to find atleast one a day. The food they are givven is the pellets, with a little carrot over top of it and the judging by the carrots its been in there a while. I am not sure on the water they are using but more than likely it is tap. I do see a temp gague and a humidity gague in there but it is usually over or under what is needed for the crabs. The tank for the large crabs is one of those you see on the end of an isle. they are given plenty of places to hide, but it is so packed it is just bad. The sand in this tank is usually really dry and there water was really low last time I was there. I have brought some ideas up with one of there clerks and she did say she would bring it up next meeting but I dont think anything will come of it.

:pinch:

18. vckums

vckums Moderator

I have sent it to some of those. Feel free to print it out and send it off.

19. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 Guest

Vicki,
    The sea shell shop that I mentioned on another web site could use some proper care education. If we PM you the specifics of the conditions, do you customize the letter? Pretty much everything but the styrofoam packing peanuts applies to my situation. Especially the painted shell thing.

20. vckums

vckums Moderator

Yup, just send me the details.