1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Persimmion and Mango

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by chermo, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I bought Persimmion (sp?) and Mango today to try with the crabs. I cut it all in chunks and put it in the freezer. I decided I would give it a try tonight when I feed them and see how it goes. They have never had either of these 2 fruits so it will be interesting to see if they like it. The mango smells bad not like the fruit is bad but it just has a small that I don't like. I have never eatten either of these fruits and don't plan on it anytime soon. I just figured I would let you all know if they like it or not so stay tuned to find out how it goes.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Mine like it if its very ripe--I keep mango in the freezer all the time. I think the Persimmons are expensive? I dont remember :confused:

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

It sounds like a pretty good combo. I now follow the kilimanjaro guide to hermit crab food or whatever it's called so I have to feed them protien and fruits+veggies every night and fats three times a week and calcium 4 times a week so their diets are planned out. I think that I'll try some mango if your crabs end up liking the combo. My mom really likes mangos but are they out of season? I don't know, I have just not seen them around the house for a while.

4. Crabmier

Crabmier (Micro Crab)

My crabs (and me) love mangos! I don't even know what the other one is!:p I do have a question for Hermez though... how do you know when it's really ripe?

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I like to get ones that have a blush on it and it gets soft to the touch. I have been lucky lately and have had some awesome ones! (I usually let them sit at home for awhile too)

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Aw Hermez....you're telling your age. You know these here young-'uns
    don't know what a blush is! :D

7. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

The mango was a $1 each and the persimmon was $1.50 each. I thought that was pretty cheap for fresh fruits I can freeze and feed when I feel the time is right. Well the persimmon was gone when I changed out the food this evening, maybe they took it somewhere with them but I couldn't find it so maybe the 3 on the surface ate it all. I have no idea.

8. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I might have to try some of those. I don't like it when one of my crabs takes the WHOLE fruit even if it's bigger than him and hides it. Then I get these horrible chunks of molt especially when I feed raspberries. They mold fast and my crabs are especially fond of hiding them because they are easy to crabs and not too big and pretty light.

9. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

oooh I want to try that1

10. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I read the guide but one sentence freaks me out. It says: "[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Helvetica]You should try to feed the healthiest land hermit crabs to your post-molt crabs for a week or two in order to have them regain their nutrient levels and they start to metabolize food easier." Ummm....:eek::eek::eek::eek: What do they mean by this????
    [/FONT]

11. Soccer50

Soccer50 Guest

Mine LOVE mango :)

12. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena (Micro Crab)

My crabs love ripe mango, but I can't bring myself to eat a persimmon with them. By the time they are ripe enough, they are too smooshy for my liking. I am particular about texture on my own tongue and I tend to eat things that are unripe because I prefer the tartness. Crabs have a different taste entirely...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.